DJing a wedding?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default DJing a wedding?

Does anyone here actually do this? I have only ever played out at clubs/raves/parties but my boss recently discovered I DJ and has asked me to DJ her daughter's wedding.

I should probably get with the bride and groom if they have specific songs they want to hear. Also thinking I would probably want to have a request book available in case any guests want to hear something. If I don't have it, then I hope this place has fast internet! ha

The couple is pretty young too, like early 20's..

Anyone have experience or tips for DJing a wedding?

Tech Guru

My first tip would be to pass on the gig. Weddings are not "simple" or "easy" or anything other than hard. Weddings are a high stress, high emotion, high stakes kind of event. Brides will often attempt some level of micro-management that can be difficult to accept with a smile. You will also have to manage the power dynamic between the mother of the bride (your boss) and the bride....that is tricky in the best of circumstances. Wedding guests range from kids to just under dead.

Unless passing is guaranteed to result in the loss of employment....pass.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

I'd avoid this like the plague. I have a feeling that plenty of people around this forum will disagree (as it's happened in the past), but doing something like this isn't for a person with no experience.
    First and foremost, you are working as the entertainment for what should be one of the most memorable days in a couples LIFE. If you don't have experience, getting it shouldn't be done as the head guy for such an event.
    Secondly, it's your boss who wants to hire you. Generally, the average person doesn't realize the world of difference between a club DJ, festival DJ, and wedding DJ. If you don't know how to deliver as a wedding entertainer, this could severely sour your work relationship with your boss. If you hate your job, then maybe it's a good move.
    Thirdly, you have to have the right tools for the job. Again, some people here might not agree, but having done it several times with a team of people I work with, I can tell you the wrong equipment can seriously cause uncomfortable moments and make you look bad... IE - cheap wireless mics can cut out and throw speeches off. That is on you. They also are a lot more prone to feedback.
    Todays wedding DJ's have also become part planner for the entire reception. timing out and planning all the dances, speeches, etc. are all on you... at least that's how the good ones do it.
    All that in mind, you don't have to do it all, but it's what is and should be expected of good wedding DJ's, and at the end of the day, do you really want to under-deliver for one of the most important days of a couples life... especially when it's your bosses kid?

Yeah, don't do it. If you have to do it, I think 15~30 minute blocks of different music eras is the best way to handle it. I go to a lot of weddings as I have a photo booth I rent out, and this is pretty much what they do. Ask the couple what they like, remember you need some jazz for the dinner, and you may need some music for the cocktail hour prior to dinner. Oh and you have to MC, it's not just about the music at a wedding. But in all honesty, do some more research on it, basically the whole "there's absolutely no re-do's (not that there is at a club, but I'm not gonna be spinning house here,) and bridezillas" scare the crap out of me. But you know, then again I spin deep house, Not really good for most weddings unless it's for like the cocktail hour. I would imagine hip-hop DJ's and club DJ's that play remixes of the top 40 and things like that would have a much easier time with these sorts of things, I personally don't even know what the hell is on the radio
    Technics1200-M5G/DDJ-SZ
    WWW.ARTHURNAVA.COM

Tech Convert

Wow, I guess I will seriously reconsider this then. I'd be using my pioneer cdjs/xone mixer/laptop set up and the wedding chapel apparently has a PA system to plug in to.

On one hand, my boss is a pretty close friend of about 15 years and I grew up with her kids & went to the same high school/college as all 3 of them. We have a pretty lax work relationship. The subject of me djing was surprisingly something we had never really talked about though ha. Anyways, she was just like "hey you wanna dj (insert daughter's name)'s wedding? We were just going to throw a couple of mix CDs on for music" So it seems pretty lacking in the music region already for the wedding, but I really don't wanna screw up the night for them.

But on the other hand I really have no idea what to do other than talk with the bride & groom about what music they want. I really do not know the groom at all though, nor do I know his friends or family. And I don't know any of the bride's family other than her mom (my boss) and her siblings.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I personally don't even know what the hell is on the radio
    also this ha

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
    Wow, I guess I will seriously reconsider this then. I'd be using my pioneer cdjs/xone mixer/laptop set up and the wedding chapel apparently has a PA system to plug in to.

On one hand, my boss is a pretty close friend of about 15 years and I grew up with her kids & went to the same high school/college as all 3 of them. We have a pretty lax work relationship. The subject of me djing was surprisingly something we had never really talked about though ha. Anyways, she was just like "hey you wanna dj (insert daughter's name)'s wedding? We were just going to throw a couple of mix CDs on for music" So it seems pretty lacking in the music region already for the wedding, but I really don't wanna screw up the night for them.

But on the other hand I really have no idea what to do other than talk with the bride & groom about what music they want. I really do not know the groom at all though, nor do I know his friends or family. And I don't know any of the bride's family other than her mom (my boss) and her siblings.
    I dunno why there is so many people posting in this thread saying dont do it.. To me this is like free money, as you dont have to actually mix in any songs.. Just let one finish then play another.

If you have access to mics and such then you are already set. I say go for it and make some extra coinage!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    I dunno why there is so many people posting in this thread saying dont do it.. To me this is like free money, as you dont have to actually mix in any songs.. Just let one finish then play another.

If you have access to mics and such then you are already set. I say go for it and make some extra coinage!
    So...I have this club gig coming up...but I have never played in a club before. But...all I need to do is line up some Top 40 remixes in a playlist and use Traktor's Cruise Control to mix them together....it's like free money....right?

Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    So...I have this club gig coming up...but I have never played in a club before. But...all I need to do is line up some Top 40 remixes in a playlist and use Traktor's Cruise Control to mix them together....it's like free money....right?

No cause in a club you would have to mix.. :/ Weddings are about your music collection and having all the oldies. If you have a tb hd like myself you can load it with top hits from the 50's and up and you will do just fine. Its finish one song, play the next. Anyone can really do it, it doesn't take much skill. More so just having the right equiptment.

To the OP his story sounds like it will be really chill regardless so...

I mean good try at trolling tho.

Tech Wizard

Is the reception in the chapel also?
    1) Get a do and don't play list from the bride and groom along with preferred genres of music. Print out the list of songs they want and cross them out as you go. Also print the don't play list.
    2) Write down the names of the party, parents, grandparents, etc. phonetically.
    3) Start off to please the old heads then move into newer stuff as the night goes on.
    4) Know the planner/head of the staff and get a general outline of the nights events and times they should take place.

I personally don't DJ (putting together a bedroom rig for home), but I've helped a friend of mine that makes his living off them many times. It's not about the DJ so no technical stuff unless they ask for it. Just be a jukebox and mix. If I could keep people dancing anyone can.

Wanted my first post be be my stuff setup, but this seemed like a good spot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast