How your traktor Z2 looks after 2 weeks of practicing (aprox 30 hours of use) - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    Nah - I don't view this as a serious problem in the least. NI is replacing them, as others have mentioned, anyway.

My Z2 is missing a lot of the paint under the crossfader, especially on the the right side (I favour the left turntable and don't reverse the crossfader), but most of it was lost - as I've said elsewhere, but I don't remember where - when I let another, much better, turntablist cut on it.
    NI are having to pay to replace a lot of face plates out of their own pocket? I assure you they are going to see it as a major problem :P
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Its not a problem because as Sarasin says we all know a crossfader from an EQ pot. BUT, NI have still messed up. The fact that the faceplate is replaceable has nothing to do with this issue. Why would they make a product that is inferior and needs changing regularly? they wouldn't. The faceplate is changeable for one reason.... customisation. This mixer (unofficially) is NI's way of showing that they can make serious hardware. There are people all over the internet who hate on the S2/S4's build quality - unwarranted in my opinion but its there - and this mixer is supposed to remove that ill feeling. Having something as simple as this go wrong is a HUGE oversight IMO.
    In the grand scheme of things a purely cosmetic problem is hardly the end of the world and doesn't make me like my Z2 any less. However, you're right that it's a bigger problem for NI because of the effect it will have on the perception of their quality control. I've never even seen an s2/4 in person, so I have no idea if the poor quality reputation they have with some people is deserved or not, but I have no complaints wrt the Z2 or Maschine. It's surprising that NI would miss something like this, especially since you can see it even on their demo models in some of the promo videos.
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

NI are having to pay to replace a lot of face plates out of their own pocket?
    Are they? I'm not so sure. How many of the users that have bought these will REALLY use them, flat out, like the OP?

I imagine a lot of the users don't put their Z2 through it's paces like the OP has. Maybe NI has considered this, and that is why they ARE willing to replace the faceplates free of charge?

Because the number of users that WILL wreck their faceplate and claim for new ones MAY be pretty low compared to the number of units sold.

We should kick up a HUGE stink about this. It's the only way we'll get the major manufacturers to start building STUFF THAT LASTS. Good, tough, METAL GEAR!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Are they?
    I imagine a lot of the users don't put their Z2 through it's paces like the OP has. Maybe NI has considered this, and that is why they ARE willing to replace the faceplates free of charge?
    Normally I would agree with you, but mine looks pretty bad and I don't come close to anything that you would expect to make the paint chip or peel.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

The point is they should have to replace any, it's a problem for them. If you launch a new flagship product and within weeks you're having to offer free repairs your launch isn't as successful as you wanted it to be.

I'd be worried about people losing faith in NI's products or at least this batch of Z2s.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    The point is they should have to replace any, it's a problem for them. If you launch a new flagship product and within weeks you're having to offer free repairs your launch isn't as successful as you wanted it to be.

I'd be worried about people losing faith in NI's products or at least this batch of Z2s.
    Totally agree with you. The issue for NI is that if this really is their flagship product they wont want some "cosmetic" issue dragging down the perceived overall quality of the product. Minor or not its a silly thing to go wrong.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Banned

totally killed my hunger for a z2.

The fact it had a glossy face plate at all put me off it, I have a hard enough time keeping my matte mixer free of dust and smudges :P

I'msure NI will just put a transparent 3M layer over the existing faceplates. It'll cost them very little to do that.

Don't expect them to re-design them wit harder wearing paint.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Its not a problem because as Sarasin says we all know a crossfader from an EQ pot. BUT, NI have still messed up. The fact that the faceplate is replaceable has nothing to do with this issue. Why would they make a product that is inferior and needs changing regularly? they wouldn't. The faceplate is changeable for one reason.... customisation. This mixer (unofficially) is NI's way of showing that they can make serious hardware. There are people all over the internet who hate on the S2/S4's build quality - unwarranted in my opinion but its there - and this mixer is supposed to remove that ill feeling. Having something as simple as this go wrong is a HUGE oversight IMO.
    My toddler has my old Fisher-Price "See n Say" from the 1970's... all the graphics are in tact. "a sheep says... BAAAA-AAA"

Jus sayin.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast