Mixed set-up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixed set-up

Tech Wizard

Default Mixed set-up

Hello guys,

First post here ^^
    I'm planning to build a "mixed" set-up to be able to mix as well as make some live things with samples and voice.
    I was hesitating beetwing the S4 and DDJ-SX, and I'm basically waiting for the NAMM to see what is going on soon in the DJ controllers universe.

I was wondering few things :

- Why does all the DJ controllers are made with 2 jogs ? Are they REALLY needed for mix since we are playing with software ? I mean, can't we just switch between decks and play with 1 jog that would automatically assigned to the current deck ? (Im thinking about traktor) Is there some people that ever tried this ?

- At first, I was like "I absolutely want a 4 voice table because there is 4 decks in traktor... and I dont know, maybe one day i will connect some turntables !" But now, again because of the "computer software argument", is IT really usefull ? I understand that you need absolutely 2 bands of EQ to properly mix 2 track, but if I use 4 decks, could I just use infinite potentiometers and switch bands if needed (A with C and B with D) ?

Thanks in advance for your advices.
    Oevl

Tech Guru

You could in theory chop the S4 in half and use modifiers to control all 4 decks, in the same way that you could use 1 single knob to control all your EQ with the right modifiers. It's just pointlessly complicated that way.

Infinite potentiometers are a horrible way to EQ as you then rely completely on staring at a screen with no tactile/physical feedback.

I'm sure you could easily map something like a Denon SC2000 to control any number of decks if that's what you're looking for. It just makes it so much easier and more intuitive to have independant controls for each side, and allows you to make adjustments to either side simultaneously.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Why does all the DJ controllers are made with 2 jogs ? Are they REALLY needed for mix since we are playing with software ? I mean, can't we just switch between decks and play with 1 jog that would automatically assigned to the current deck ? (Im thinking about traktor) Is there some people that ever tried this ?
    Why do all cars have 4 wheels are they really needed for driving since 3 is fine for most roads :P

You can get a controller as mentioned like the Behringer PL-1, SC2000 or Stanton SCS.d1 and map all the deck functions in layers to a single platter (the Behinger PL1 is actually designed with this deck-layering in mind).

I however prefer 2 platters as it means I'm not looking at the deck or screen to double check which one is active at any given time.

Yes there are other people doing it.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Infinite potentiometers are a horrible way to EQ as you then rely completely on staring at a screen with no tactile/physical feedback.

Not necessarily. Look the Novation Nuctorn. 8 infinite knobs with leds that indicate where the knob is. I know that its working with their Automap software, It would be cool if it worked with traktor so you could switch between decks A-C and B-D with the same knobs. In this way you could control infinite number of decks, if only Traktor permitted that.

Not necessarily. Look the Novation Nuctorn. 8 infinite knobs with leds that indicate where the knob is. I know that its working with their Automap software, It would be cool if it worked with traktor so you could switch between decks A-C and B-D with the same knobs. In this way you could control infinite number of decks, if only Traktor permitted that.
    You should not need to look at your Mixer EQ positioning whatsoever - One reason why the majority of DJ's prefer Pots to encoders for EQ's and faders to touchscreens or touchstrips. When you make a twist or move a fader you can feel the position in relation to everything else.

Reloop Contour has 4 deck control with 1 jog wheel. Traktor certified and integrated interface too.

Tech Wizard

Instead of S4 or DDJ-SX, why don't you wait for the new Numark NS7 II to be released?

Looks identical to the DDJ-SX, but with moving platters, and then i just think it looks alot better.

Tech Guru

The NS7 is 34.6 lbs / 15.7 kg, and the II will probably be more..
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

I don't see yet the point to buy motorized jogs since it add nothing to the play and nothing really decisive to the feel. But yeah, NS72 seems to be some great gear... Im waiting for the reviews like everybody here ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Oevl View Post
    I don't see yet the point to buy motorized jogs since it add nothing to the play and nothing really decisive to the feel. But yeah, NS72 seems to be some great gear... Im waiting for the reviews like everybody here ^^
    I dont know if you grew up spinning vinyl or not, have to guess not because if you did you'd probably agree that nothing beats the tactility of a moving platter with slab of wax on top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast