hello World!

Thread: hello World!

Default hello World!

Hy everybody! I'm totally new on this forum and i have a few questions to ask but i think i better have to present myself first so I'm french (please understand my writing problems, i will try to do my best)
    I Live in alsace and i love electronic music. (really?)
    But i'v never tryed to do some and i would like to start as soon as possible...
    I searched on internet for hours, and i found some answers like "fl studio is a good software to start", "You have to buy a midi keyboard to make music" etc but i am not sure of nothing so can you explain me the basics of electronic music? I also would like to mix at my friend's partys so please give me answers
    Just hope you will take of your time to answer my questions bye guys!

Tech Mentor

Hi and welcome
    first of all, there is a thread where you can post to present yourself.
    second: use the search-function before you open a new thread.

To your "questions":
    First of all you have to make up your mind if you want to produce your own music or if you want to dj. A Producer makes his own music at home in his bedroom/studio with help of software, synths, samplers etc. A DJ puts together sets of different tracks that others have produced and plays hour-long sets of "finished" tracks put together. the differences between djs and producers are slowly vanishing as most dj's produce their own music and play their tracks out. you will probably end up going down this route aswell but to begin, focus on either producing or djing.

Tips for Producing: there is no single best way to do it or a single go-to software. Pro-Tools, Logic, Reason and Ableton are just the ones that pop into my head when talking about the ones being also used by professionals. They all work with plugins (synths, effects etc.) or samplers to "produce" new sounds that can be arranged, expanded, edited etc by the software.
    Check out some youtube videos, download some demo versions, play around, decide what you feel most comfortable with. at the moment Ableton is in many live performances of producers, definately have a closer look into that.
    i am not an expert in this field, since i just recently started producing, this is just some personal experience and tips...

DJing:
    easiest and cheapest to start with is probably digital djing. software-based djing with a program like traktor, serato or vdj with the help of midi-controllers.
    easily expandable with cdjs (cd-players, used in most clubs these days, newer ones also work as midi-controller) and standalone mixers.
    you can also always go with good old turntables and vinyl if you like it more responsive and analogue.

make your mind up and think about what you want to do, do some research, watch some videos, talk to people (eg your friend who apparently promotes parties) and decide wich route you want to go. dont think you can get all your questions answered right on, as producing musik and djing is a long process and has a learning curve. most questions will answer themselves if you are passionate and patient enough. dont think you can get a sowftware today and be the next "(insert favorite producer here)" tomorrow. it takes time, passion and patience.
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

Quote Originally Posted by Volpe View Post
    Hi and welcome
    first of all, there is a thread where you can post to present yourself.
    second: use the search-function before you open a new thread.

To your "questions":
    First of all you have to make up your mind if you want to produce your own music or if you want to dj. A Producer makes his own music at home in his bedroom/studio with help of software, synths, samplers etc. A DJ puts together sets of different tracks that others have produced and plays hour-long sets of "finished" tracks put together. the differences between djs and producers are slowly vanishing as most dj's produce their own music and play their tracks out. you will probably end up going down this route aswell but to begin, focus on either producing or djing.

Tips for Producing: there is no single best way to do it or a single go-to software. Pro-Tools, Logic, Reason and Ableton are just the ones that pop into my head when talking about the ones being also used by professionals. They all work with plugins (synths, effects etc.) or samplers to "produce" new sounds that can be arranged, expanded, edited etc by the software.
    Check out some youtube videos, download some demo versions, play around, decide what you feel most comfortable with. at the moment Ableton is in many live performances of producers, definately have a closer look into that.
    i am not an expert in this field, since i just recently started producing, this is just some personal experience and tips...

DJing:
    easiest and cheapest to start with is probably digital djing. software-based djing with a program like traktor, serato or vdj with the help of midi-controllers.
    easily expandable with cdjs (cd-players, used in most clubs these days, newer ones also work as midi-controller) and standalone mixers.
    you can also always go with good old turntables and vinyl if you like it more responsive and analogue.

make your mind up and think about what you want to do, do some research, watch some videos, talk to people (eg your friend who apparently promotes parties) and decide wich route you want to go. dont think you can get all your questions answered right on, as producing musik and djing is a long process and has a learning curve. most questions will answer themselves if you are passionate and patient enough. dont think you can get a sowftware today and be the next "(insert favorite producer here)" tomorrow. it takes time, passion and patience.
    ok sorry for the bad location of my post, i didn't found any other place. So i think i am gonna start with mixing my favourites songs, and i will maybe start producing later Can you give me some goog price "hardware" to start?

Tech Mentor

there are many, use the search function in this subforum. at least two people asking about this every week.

but definately have a look at the just released behringer cmd series.
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

Digital dj tips has a controller buyers guide. Take a look at that.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Id personally recommend a Traktor s2 or a VC1 -100 to begin with. Maybe even a mixtrack pro.

it all depends on your budget for a controller

OK thank you erverybody for your quick answers, i recently saw the traktor s2 and i found it pretty sweet. Not so expensive.... A dj Controller (like the s2) is a "small" version of two cd turntables + a mix table, isn't it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitronic View Post
    OK thank you erverybody for your quick answers, i recently saw the traktor s2 and i found it pretty sweet. Not so expensive.... A dj Controller (like the s2) is a "small" version of two cd turntables + a mix table, isn't it?

Thanks
    I am looking forward to buying this. How much does it cost?