That Underground Sound - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Well it's only really the US & Canada that house/rave/edm/whateveritscalledthisweek was still considered underground until recently.
    Shit went overground at the end of 1988 in the UK.
    SC | MC

Ooh I wanna play...

"Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Guru

Yep Nicky is right. Stuff like "jack your body", "love can't turn around", "activ8", "hardcore uproar" etc was charting highly in the UK. How "anthem" didn't chart higher (45) i'll never know. Dance music has been part of popular culture for some decades now.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Guru

Still up there as one of the finest pieces of house music I've ever heard

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=GSkr5...r53xfFwg&gl=GB

as is this
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uiCMt...MtDa4DaU&gl=GB
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by D-Kem View Post
    Yep Nicky is right. Stuff like "jack your body", "love can't turn around", "activ8", "hardcore uproar" etc was charting highly in the UK. How "anthem" didn't chart higher (45) i'll never know. Dance music has been part of popular culture for some decades now.
    Europe seemed to jump on the dance music scene right away. Personally I think that the miami bass sound/freestyle was the biggest style to break out of a region in the US. Only a very few Chicago house, garage house, detroit techno tracks broke into the main stream. Chicago used to have multiple underground/regional genre's; Chicago punk (ie naked raygun) and industrial (wax trax) back in the 80s and 90s. All of it is gone as far as far as I can tell.

Last edited by nubz69; 01-25-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    Well it's only really the US & Canada that house/rave/edm/whateveritscalledthisweek was still considered underground until recently.
    Shit went overground at the end of 1988 in the UK.
    Definitely.

Nicky, off topic, and prob ought to take this PM, but I just wondered if you would be interested in submitting a 30min mix as a guest mix slot on my radio show? I've just listened to your Soundcloud mixes, v nice indeed.

Cheers,

BTTF aka Lofty (Nu-Rave.com/Music4ThePeople.co.uk)
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123