Do I have the right setup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Do I have the right setup?

Hey guys, I'm trying to use Virtual DJ or Traktor to manage my music and use my CDJ's as controllers. But I'm having a few issues so thought I would ask for your help/suggestions.

This is my current setup:
    Pioneer CDJ 350
    Pioneer CDJ 350
    Pioneer DJM 350
    KRK Rokit 5 (pair)

CDJ's are connected to the mixer. Mixer is connected to Rokit w/ RCA's (I know, XLR would be ideal but DJM 350 doesn't have XLR outputs )

Both CDJ's are connected to my Windows laptop with USB cables.

Now the issue is, how do I get Virtual DJ and Traktor to work?

With Virtual DJ, I've downloaded the demo and that allows you to use external controllers for 10 mins. I've been able to connect and use it succesfully for like 2 minutes, but then it botches up. For instance, I will play a track on Virtual DJ on deck A, and another track on deck B. I'm able to control the tracks using my CDJ's, but most of the time what happens is both CDJ's end up controlling Deck A or Deck B, but not separately.

The crossfader never works and both tracks play just out of 1 channel. I can't control the highs/mids/lows either, I know this is a mixer feature, but given that both tracks are coming out as just 1 channel, its annoying because I can't control the song's elements.

With Traktor, I've downloaded the demosoftware and connected the CDJ's. I've also downloaded and installed Pioneer's mapping *.tsi file and imported into Traktor, but it simply doesn't work. I keep getting a red error that says "no audio sources detected".

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help guys!

What audio interface are you using?
    TSP2|MFSPECTRA|TECHNICS1200MK2/M3D|WIN764BIT
    MASCHINESTUDIO|KNTRLZ2|KNTRLX1MK2|KNTRLF1|DICERS|V-MODA

Tech Convert

not using an audio interface; CDJ-350 has direct USB outputs to connect to PC and that's what I've been using.

You probably need to get an audio interface to put between your mixer and your laptop.

Mixcloud | Soundcloud | Facebook | Website(Dutch)

I mean, i would REALLY like to wake up and have boobs one day but there are reasons that just wouldnt work - Antifmradio

Tech Mentor

I dont think so. CDJ's have their own soundcards. I used my CDJ 350's like this albeit with a DJM 800.

Make sure you have the correct drivers installed on the computer for the CDJ's first. Turn on the CDJ's before you open the program you want to use.

Then its an input / output routing issue. So you would set up one CDJ for use (output) on Deck A, and the other on Deck B. In external mixing mode. So that the program you are using outputs the source material to each CDJ individually, and you connect the CDJ's as normal using RCA's to the mixer. Then the mixer should work as you are expecting.

I can't fully remember the exact settings used, but it is pretty easy once you think about what exactly you are trying to achieve. But I did use the CDJ400 tsi for my 350's IIRC and it worked fine (my version of Traktor came with cdj 400 tsi files pre installed). You should have 2 CDJ ASIO soundcards to pick from when setting up the outputs, and IIRC they both look identical, so if you get them the wrong way round at first, its pretty easy to swap them around anyway.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

If you want to use your mixer, you need a soundcard between it and your computer. And I don't think the 350s are midi. Pretty sure they are HID.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    If you want to use your mixer, you need a soundcard between it and your computer. And I don't think the 350s are midi. Pretty sure they are HID.
    No you dont. As I said above, you can use the CDJ's as controllers that output the sound to the mixer in external mode. You don't NEED a soundcard between the mixer and PC unless you want to do internal mixing and use the mixer in midi mode (if the DJM 350 even supports that).

The CDJ 350's ARE MIDI controllers. I don't think they support HID with Traktor, unsure about VDJ though. Pretty sure they are HID with mixvibes Cross though.

Just set the CDJ's up as MIDI controllers in Traktor, in external mixing mode, and you will be able to do everything you want (except record straight into Traktor, which you wont need to do as the DJM records straight to USB anyway).

So you set-up the hardware the same as on page 13 of the manual, and then its just the settings in the software you have to set-up, which varies depending on what software you are using. Personally, I prefer VDJ over Traktor, but Traktor is MUCH cheaper to buy, as it comes bundles with the Audio 2 for around £80, or with X1 / F1's. You wont need an X1 though as the CDJ's will do most of the X1's functions anyway. In fact, you dont really need any further hardware over what you already have.
    Last edited by xs2man; 02-03-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Are you wanting to mix internal? Or do you want to use your mixer as well?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Guru

The OP has a DJM350 so they will of course be using External Mixing mode.

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/4...-350/page.html
    Its USB connection allows for Plug & Play control of compatible DJ software, plus MIDI control for any music software. Also, you can use your CDJ-350 as an audio interface.

You do not need any additional audio interface when using the CDJ 350s. The Pioneer drivers available here should aggregate the two decks for you on Windows, or you can do it yourself within Audio MIDI setup on Mac OSX.
    There is also a Traktor mapping on the same page.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Convert

just realized that traktor is probably not working because I don't have a control disc...rookie mistake I'm sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast