Skipping on Stanton ST150s and Shure M44-7s
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Skipping on Stanton ST150s and Shure M44-7s

So... im getting some skipping on traktor scratch pro 2's absolute mode when i'm trying to scratch. Cue-ing is not much issue, but simple scratches like babies and trying to scribble makes it skip a groove back, esp on one side of the deck.

I'm on used stanton st150s (s-curve arm) and brand new m44-7 carts, mounted to technics headshells. I thought that after i swapped out the old used stanton 680v3 hp, that would solve my skipping problem, but i guess not.

Currently using stock stanton slipmats, (waiting for my NI butter rugs) and settings for cart's height is 2, weight 2.5, antiskate 0, angled normally on headshell (front of cart flushed to end of headshell)

I'm sure i've balanced my carts properly and etc. I've no idea why its still skipping.

Now i'm thinking its due to a loose tonearm, but i've no idea how to tighten it, googled but results are.. sketchy and i'm afraid i could damage something. When I shake my tone arm forward (in the direction of the cart) it seems very loose. Is this normal? Or should the tone arm not move at all?

Could any1 point me in the correct direction to solve this problem? Or might it be that im just too heavy handed?

Also, the circles i'm getting on 1 side of the vinyl is kinda distorted, it was the side i've used with my old carts. (Been using for less than 2 weeks, could it have burned out so fast?)

Sorry for the loaddd of questions. Its really bugging me. Hope u guys can help!
    Last edited by Tornesoul; 02-04-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

1210 user here. One of my tonearms was also a bit loose 2 weeks back. It led to skipping needles (also M44-7s) and a bad signal (timecode was flipping out)

I had to have them repaired. €100 for a tightened tonearm, new springs in the joint of the tonearm, 2 x new rcas, 2 x a thorough cleaning, 2 x calibration of the pitch.

In other words:
    I learned loose tonearms can be a bitch, they have a bigger impact than I thought and it should be left to a professional to deal with them.

Tech Guru

How new is the deck? If its fairly new I would send it back to the shop you bought it from for repair. I think this can be a common issue with these decks that they aren't calibrated properly in the factory although I never had a problem with my Str8 150's.

If they won't repair or quote you a crazy price maybe try and find a turntable repair person in your area and give them a call. Its not something I would do myself wouldn't want to mess it up further.

Good luck, let us know how you go.

Tech Wizard

I have the same tables, carts and mats. Can't remember my settings but I don't get any skips. I'll check my setup when I get home and let you know the setup so you can give it a try and see if it helps

Tech Mentor

I was hoping not to need to send them to repair, that was a reason i jumped on the st150s. thinking that i wouldnt need to deal with like 7th/8th hand technics with loads of problems with pitch, braking, etc etc and repairing is really expensive here.

Well the deck is 2nd hand, 1st owner bought in 2009 supposedly.

How do you define a "loose" tonearm?? Like if the pitch is off at 0, i can see that, but to what degree is looseness considered too much?

Thx Nakkanen!

Will breaking in my shure m44-7s help? So far i've used them for about 4/5+ hours and left once overnight on the stopped deck.
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

how long have you been scratching?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    how long have you been scratching?
    used old stanton carts for a week or so. but they were skipping all over.

new m44-7s are much btr. but still the occasional 1 groove skip back. a couple of days with them.

though frankly i'd say under 24hrs.

dripstep, ya think its a technique problem?

Tech Mentor

Have you dialed in the weight and anti-skate?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by HigherFi View Post
    Have you dialed in the weight and anti-skate?
    yup, 2.5 weight, 2 height, 0 antiskate. the antiskates alittle ruddy though, floats back at 0 to tone arm rest, though not as strongly as at 3, maybe thats y?

it tends to ONLY skip back by one groove
    Last edited by Tornesoul; 02-04-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornesoul View Post
    i'd say under 24hrs.

dripstep, ya think its a technique problem?
    I am leaning towards that. My left hand is fast on the deck, and I can move the record as fast as I want, however I want and i dont make it skip. My right hand however, slows the platter down, skips the needle, knocks it off. If you are just brand new to scratching, I think it might be your technique. Good news is, practice is free, so your problem might be fixed without money
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast