Headphone Cueing while using Internal Soundcard?

Default Headphone Cueing while using Internal Soundcard?

So I have a nice 5.1 system I'd like to use for outputs, and this is possible using my desktop's onboard 5.1 soundcard and making traktor use that, but I can't cue with my headphones now (using S2's soundcard). Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.
    Just press play.

Tech Mentor

You need to plug the speakers into the S2
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

If I do that, I wouldn't be able to use my full 5.1 system and thus not my nice sub either.
    Just press play.

I'm not sure about traktor but temporarely you could use VDJ. (you need to map your s2 however to VDJ)
    with VDJ somehow it's just easier to play the master via PC and cue via headphones (connected to your NI device)
    NI Traktor Kontrol S4 - Sennheiser HD 25 - MF SPECTRA

Tech Wizard

In general, you should not run your DJ gear though 5.1 or 7.1 systems. You will find that in most of these systems, there will be latency from the front and rear speaker set even with sound fields turned off. additionally, the entire system might have slight latency that you will notice if you did have the headphones working...
    some systems will allow A + B setups and not have as bad of a latency issue. if this is an on-board sound card, i doubt is is a as good as your S2's sound card. they have pretty nice DAC's.

To answer your original question though, no. I am almost 100% positive that you can NOT use 2 sound cards with traktor at once. I cant even use my s4 and a10 at the same time.

Tech Guru

You CAN use 2 sound cards together with Traktor if you aggregate them, for Windows you'll need ASIO4ALL software to do this, whereas Mac users can do this with the Audio MIDI Setup within OSX.

It would probably be better to connect your 5.1 system to the RCA output of the S2 though.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

WUT? Music is mostly in stereo. If you have an usual 5.1 home setup then there is no difference between using 6 different channels then just the regular stereo.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    You CAN use 2 sound cards together with Traktor if you aggregate them, for Windows you'll need ASIO4ALL software to do this, whereas Mac users can do this with the Audio MIDI Setup within OSX.

It would probably be better to connect your 5.1 system to the RCA output of the S2 though.
    That is a good Point That I had forgotten about.
    In the Mac this is native because that is how my CDJ2000's are set up.
    The windows download is a good point. I remember asking NI's tech support and they said no it was not possible a while back.
    I'd love to know if this works.

Quote Originally Posted by vanaema78 View Post
    WUT? Music is mostly in stereo. If you have an usual 5.1 home setup then there is no difference between using 6 different channels then just the regular stereo.
    its not about the "music". its about the latency generated by the 5.1 processor. even running music though it in just stereo CAN create a slight delay. this is not 100% of time on all equipment. but it can be an issue.

if that is your your monitor and you're cueing in your headphones, you can notice the delay.

Tech Guru

Asio4All works fine, but is not quite as reliable or as low latency as a dedicated performance sound card. Also you won't be able to use timecode since the aggregate sound card is no longer a certified device.

A computer 5.1 system will probably not have its own processing system and typically relies on the computer for that, so the delay may not be so bad.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Asio4All works fine, but is not quite as reliable or as low latency as a dedicated performance sound card.
    indeed :/
    NI Traktor Kontrol S4 - Sennheiser HD 25 - MF SPECTRA