Do I need to buy an Audio Interface?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do I need to buy an Audio Interface?

Right, my set up ATM is:

MacBook Pro 15" running Logic Pro 9
    Mac Power PC G5 running Logic Pro8
    KRK RP8 G5 monitors
    Behringer UMX Midi Keyboard
    CODEX USB Microphone
    Maschine

And I have Traktor SP2 with Audio 10.

Now, do I need an audio interface with my set up?

Sometimes I want to just play music from my MacBook iTunes out from my monitors and I have currently been doing this via an RCA cable split with one end going into my RCA monitor input, and the other end into a mini-jack adapter into my MacBook, and I'm sure this is dodgey.

Is there another way to hook my monitors up with my MBP & Logic? Been trying to get this sorted for a while now,

Thanks.

I use 3Pin XLR to connect my monitors to my DJM 500 mixer, so maybe a Audio Interface with XLR ins/outs?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You already have the Audio 10 .. why would you need another just set the Audio 10 as the default audio output device.

Why would you use the macbook's sound card or need another card when you have one of the most comprehensive and versatile sound cards in existence?

Unless you have a crack copy of TSP "A10" edition...

Do you have a mixer? Bit odd having an audio 10 with no mixer....

Anyway you will need to run single split phono cables from the phono outs on the audio 10 (Main Out) directly to each monitor.

Or you could get a mixer with balanced xlr outs (cheapest best option imo would be a DJM250) run the audio 10 through that and connect that to the montors using xlr cables. Maybe run Main Out to the aux channel on DJM250 and use that just to play music from it

see the xlr outs on back of djm250 ere

CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Okay, yes I do have a DJ mixer, I mentioned that in original post, I have a Pioneer DJM500, Which is connected to my monitors by XLR (xlr mixer to xlr in my monitors).

I did think that I could maybe use my Audio10 (and no I haven't got a cracked version, I paid just over £700 for my copy of TSP2 with a Kontrol X1!! Lol) but pretty much all the ins/outs are taken at the back of the soundcard, 4 'Deck' inputs, I have them all used up for my Traktor decks,

And I am actually using up my 'Main OUT' on the Audio10 because I have Maschine routed as a 'Live Input' in Traktor, so thats 'Main Out' on A10 into a channel on my DJ Mixer.

So, I haven't really got any room to plug anything in to my Audio 10 lol? Plus, most people have said that the best way to use my monitors is via XLR.. Or is that only for like playing music/DJing, is it okay to use RCA cables from Audio10 to my monitors and set it as the default soundcard, for use with logic?

Its just the constant changing ill be doing when i want to DJ, i take Traktor out with me, so the audio 10 would be needed, and when im in the studio, i hav to move the Audio10 to my producing desk and ectetc.

I think I may need another audio interface for just stationary producing purposes, and keep my A10 for when I'm having a mix at home and mobile for playing out with....?

Thank for your replies.

What about the headphone output on the A10?

edit: oh you want to produce, nvm.
    Last edited by Conall; 01-27-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Ok fair dooos, I missed the DJM500 bit when i scan read the post.

For producing it's not 100% ideal to go through a dj mixer imo, unless it has a built in 24 bit soundcard (like a djm900 or db4 etc).

My first soundcard was an Audio Kontrol 1 which has balanced outputs, i still use that for producing (jack to jack rather than xlr to xlr but same difference). macbook pro > usb to ak1 > balanced jack to KRK VXT4s. There's then minimum degradation to sound quality from computer to monitors. Sounds crystal clear.

I use my audio 10 for playing out with an external mixer and no for producing because it doesn't have balanced outs.

So maybe thing about getting a soundcard just for producing

I like my AK1 and use it still but the komplete audio 6 is the latest incarnation now, ak1 discontinued. Others may recommend something else

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...plete-audio-6/
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

I have actually tired using the headphone input slot, ran my monitors through RCA and then both ends into a mini-jack adapter, though I couldnt control the volume properly, when I turned the 'phones' volume all the way down it still played pretty loud :/

I think i do just need to buy another soundcourd for just at home, what exactly do i need?

I just have a MIDI keyboard, a USB mic, and my MBP with logic, and of course my monitors.

Is there a not to pricey soundcard with all the ins i need for my equipment?

Thanks.

Are those links of the same soundcard?
    Looks alright, are they XLR inputs I se there?

MY budget is very tight atm, but around £100 or near!

I have a USB hub, so I could always just plug my MIDI keyboard into that, and them my MIC into the USB input of that soundcard.
    Will this do the job for the equipment i listed?

Cheers mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast