Gig getting mixes
    Tech Guru

Default Gig getting mixes

Looking at getting some gigs in Ibiza over the summer and a few more before I go so was wondering if anyone has tips for not just a mix, but in particular one for getting gigs?
    Do a 30-40 minute one rather than an hour?
    Approach it like a set, with something calmer at the beginning and a peak later on?
    Or just go for it from the off to get them hooked?

I know there's plenty of threads like this but none that I've seen focussing specifically on the mix rather than just getting gigs in general (which isn't so much of a problem over here but in Ibiza the competition is HIGH).

DJTechTools already did an awesome article covering most of what you need to know, but basically you want to be sure to put in your best material right from the start. A simple lead in is okay, but you don't want a promoter starting your mix only to get bored after waiting a minute or two for things to get started. Definitely try to get them hooked ASAP and do your best to keep it that way.

30-40 minutes is okay for a mix. It doesn't necessarily need to be an hour, just so long as it gives a good idea on your style. My advice would be to do some research on the various bars and clubs you're thinking of submitting to and showing them that you'd be a good fit. This might mean making a few different mixes to hand out at different places. You don't want to give a deep house mix to a place that primarily spins top 40s remixes, you know?

Have you been to Ibiza before? and is it a bar DJ your looking at or a club?

In general (especially in San An) most normal bars play Top 40 remixes. etc
    Traktor S4 | Midifighter Classic | 2x CDJ 2000| Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 | Ableton Live 8 | 2012 Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB | Krk RP5

Tech Mentor

unfortunately they're not gonna book you on a mix you email them. Sorry mate.
    If it was that easy there would be a million DJs booked in Ibiza.

You'll have a slim chance if you become good friends with the promoters are a venue. But other than that. good luck.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Nothing wrong with dreaming big.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mwn11 View Post
    Have you been to Ibiza before? and is it a bar DJ your looking at or a club?

In general (especially in San An) most normal bars play Top 40 remixes. etc
    I have indeed. There's a few clubby bars I know of playing decent music in San An including Itaca. I'd rather not be in San An but that's where the money is for the workers.

Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    unfortunately they're not gonna book you on a mix you email them. Sorry mate.
    If it was that easy there would be a million DJs booked in Ibiza.

You'll have a slim chance if you become good friends with the promoters are a venue. But other than that. good luck.
    One of the bigger small nights out there has got a private page for submitting mixes as their recruiting new DJs at the moment. I know a few people that have got smaller gigs out there, I'm not talking about blowing up DC10 or anything like that.
    One of my mates also runs a day party out there and a flatmate works for We Love so you never know.

Sounds good then! Good luck with it, and if your out there in august i expect free entry/tickets
    Traktor S4 | Midifighter Classic | 2x CDJ 2000| Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 | Ableton Live 8 | 2012 Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB | Krk RP5

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mwn11 View Post
    Sounds good then! Good luck with it, and if your out there in august i expect free entry/tickets
    I will be out there then mate but I'll probably need all the commission I can get by that point
    I'll see what I can do though. Get in touch on my twitter (below)