Kontrol X1 to Xone K2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Kontrol X1 to Xone K2

Basically thinking of getting (2) Xone K2s to replace my (2) Kontrol X1s

And I wanted to get some feedback on people who switched and if they liked the switch? why or why not
    Also dont mind feedback from anyone who has used one or from people who use it with ableton how they like it

hope to make up my mind soon
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Wizard

I own both and also use them in a setup with an external mixer. These are my findings:
    - The knobs and encoders on the X1 feel better than the K2. The 4 aligned knobs of the X1 are better suited for the advanced fx of traktor. The encoders also feel better. Also the knobs on the X1 have a '0' point where they 'locked'. On the other hand, the buttons of the K2 are bigger and thus better.
    - The latching layers of the K2 are phenomenal. The transition between layers and LED feedback gives you a really decent workflow. It's so much better, MIDI-mode on the X1 should be embarrassed.
    - Side notes: The K2 has no writing on it, which I find positive. The K2 is a little bit bigger than the X1.

Tech Guru

I've just switched from 1 x1 to 1 k2 and I'm in love

I did my own mapping to a full x1 into the k2 (with dry/wet fx 1 and 2 on the faders) plus a internal mixer with two decks at the layer one (red) ...
    Layer two (orange) is for cue point recording/deleting exactly like x1
    Exactly what I wanted.

And I have a plus, with the thrid layer (green) I've done a led output mapping to monitor my post fader and master levels/clip.

Gonna review my mapping and post it at the foruns soon

Now I only need my xone k2 to play with high audio quality, two decks internal mixer with full eq kill and two FXs

Tech Guru

My only downside with the change is that the volume output of the k2 is even lower then my last interface numark DJIO.
    I have to crank all way up the gain on the mixer to get near the volume output of CDJs.

Tech Guru

thanks for the feedback definitely gave me a bit more insight right now Im drawing out what I want my midi map to look like and see if I could get a good workflow. Ill prob end up buying it from guitar center to check it out if I dont like it Ill just return it but hopefully I can head over to a friends house who has one to get some hands-on with it hopefully

anyone else who uses it I would love to hear more reviews!
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

Tech Guru

This is a rough sketch of what one of the K2s will do...if I get 2 it will probably mirrored just controlling deck C & D and other stuff in ableton. Still trying to make up my mind
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Santos10; 01-29-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Dont know why pictures are coming out so small

Tech Guru

Make sure you test the volume output comparing to CDJ's volume or Audio 2 volume at guitar center...

Mine is extremely quiet

Tech Mentor

I use two Xone k2s.. Dont use their audio features just the control features. Personally I love them over the other two offerings traktor has simply because it meets my workflow style. I think thats really the only key.

Unlike a previous poster, I feel the k2 knobs feel much better (they area nut/bolt assembly heavy duty). There are only a few gripes I have with the unit and I wish were different, but I can manage.

1) The buttons on the k2 have a nice feel and push but they are to small in my opinion, I like the slightly larger pads on the x1/f1
    - I used latched layers on just the bottom section of bottoms for 4 cue points on each deck (each fader grouping controls a deck on one of my k2s)

2) There seems to be some issues with MIDI OUT and IN with messages sent and recieved by the k2 with traktor. For whatever reason LED functionality is very unpredictable if you try and cycle colors or do any form of modification such as blinking etc to the LEDs on the same button you are pushing. It works correctly if a different button is affecting those parameters on another button.

3) RGB LEDS... What the heck A&H... I like having the three colors at least, but im jealous of the RGB setup hehe

4) Latching layers... Great love them for all intents and purposes for certain applications but the fact we can only use 1 color for a section of buttons that is latched is ridiculous. Hopefully this is something that can be changed in a firmware update.

Everything else i find a win over the x1/f1. But i think its personal feel. I enjoy the space between the encoders, it makes tweaking fx and the like easier to me (I actually need to use a button to switch between param 1 and 2 knobs on fx because I lack an extra knob I need lol, but because of placement its easy to use.

Tech Guru

So you're still running an external audio card balakoth?

I'm debating whether I should move from an APC40 to Xone:42 + X1s/K2s with an Audio 4.

hi there regarding the outputs

are we able to get decent outputs with 2 x K2 setup (all 4 stereo outputs out), i have read that the output gain is really weak - is that the case?

i own the audio 6 currently (3 stereo outputs) and considering getting 2 x K2s for a 4 deck setup, but kinda worried that i wont be able to get the same loud punchy sound that i get from the audio 6
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast