External Mixing Mode Alternatives?

Default External Mixing Mode Alternatives?

Okay so I need some advice from the DJTT gods with some setup advice.

I am starting to DJ with a friend, we are currently planning the setup. He currently DJs using an S4 and a macbook pro. Instead of Tag-Teaming, he'll do all of the actual Mixing (only using EQ and filters), and I will be fiddling around with post-fader effects in Ableton using a midi controller (still haven't decided what, maybe a few Behringer CMD modules if they are ever released ;-) ). The Audio will be internally routed from Traktor->Ableton->Audio Interface->Speakers with the help of the Program "JackPilot".

I'd like to be able to put effects on single tracks, which means I have to send individual track signals to ableton. This means my buddy will have to use Traktor in external mixing mode. As we all know, this makes the faders on the S4 Pointless.

I'm thinking if we use an audio interface with a whole bunch of outputs then he can just mix using the club mixer. He loves using his S4 to mix and scrub tracks, use cuepoints etc. though. Using an S4 together with a club mixer sounds a bit stupid though, so maybe he should buy a few X1s?

What do you think he should do? Is there a way to work around using external mixing mode?

Anybody?

Tech Mentor

Yeah man... you need a true 4 channel mixer and an Audio 10.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

so if your going to be adding effects to individual tracks that means your doing this pre fader. if your going to be adding effects to the final mix then this is post fader. it sounds like you want to add effects pre fader. ableton doesn't really route audio into traktor the way you want. so basically as far as i know you have 5 choices.

1. use effects on the post fader mix from traktor with ableton.

2. use ms. pinky vst for ableton. toss out the shitty s4 on ebay. get a dvs set up. and continue to use some controller or synth for effects inside ableton pre fader

3. use an akai apc 40 or some other midi controller to control abletons cross fader.

4. find a way to map the s4's fader to ableton wile still using traktor

5. get a real mixer and a audio card to output two separate channels from ableton and then mix them externally
    Last edited by spadenation; 01-30-2013 at 12:13 PM.

It can be done I think - external mode in Traktor as you say to 4 Live inputs - but it will probably be laggy as hell.
    Can't you get another laptop?
    Route Traktor to his S4 then into Ableton on the other laptop then speakers?

edit - that wouldn't give you seperate channels in Ableton like you said.
    He would need an 8 out card and the other laptop an 8 in card.

Not sure you can set the S4 soundcard to external to do it with JackPilot can you?
    Last edited by Nicky H; 01-30-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    It can be done I think - external mode in Traktor as you say to 4 Live inputs - but it will probably be laggy as hell.
    Can't you get another laptop?
    Route Traktor to his S4 then into Ableton on the other laptop then speakers?
    ^This, if you don't wanna buy another mixer
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.