Looking for audio card with 4 SPDIF digital RCA outputs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Looking for audio card with 4 SPDIF digital RCA outputs

For a Mac. What I hope to do is aggregate this card with my audio 10 allowing for digital output to my DB4 mixer. If it where not for timecode I would just use the DB4 USB option.

Do you know of a solution beyond the RME that costs 1500$ featuring USB or Firewire?

Thanks in advance!!

Don't know but there's a cheaper (if less elegant) solution; get a couple of these and switch inputs when necessary via the hardware: http://www.amazon.com/3-Way-Audio-Sw.../dp/B004T8KZCM
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Guru

Well the problem is my A10 cannot output digital. What I need is a card with 4 independent SPDIF outs. Was hoping to not have to invest 1500$ in a sound card

...how is having an extra soundcard going to help? If you're going to aggregate anyway, couldn't you just aggregate the db4 soundcard with the TA10? I'm assuming the issue you're having with timecode is not being able to use the aggregate device as your soundcard in Traktor while having timecode work, but you're going to have that same issue with a new soundcard even using SPDIF, so I'm confused.

Tech Guru

No the DB4 does not support aggregation - it communicates with the OSX kernel directly and bypasses core audio

Why do you need digital output on the sound card if you use the solution above? Connect your A10 to four inputs (on two of those plastic doohickeys) and then connect the doohickey's outputs to the inputs on the DB4. Then you can switch between timecode and vinyl or whatever using the switches on the doohickeys. Or do I misunderstand your predicament?

Tech Guru

I want fully digital - getting a bit of noise from Audio 10 that does not show up on digital.

Something is wrong with the A10 then; there shouldn't be any noise. You won't get a fully digital signal since you're still going through the A10, so even with another soundcard, you will take an analog signal from the A10 and send it to your extra soundcard, and then to the mixer. Any noise coming out of the A10 is also heading into your mixer, digital or no (at least as far as I can tell). Sorry if I'm still misunderstanding...

Tech Guru

If I aggregate the SPDIF outs I can run them straight into db4 and only use A10 for time code.

Ahhhh gotcha. It's unfortunate that the DB4 doesn't allow this directly. Of course, scratch certification would solve this problem; now you need THREE sound cards connected in order to do what you want to do :-/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast