Running Guitar Through Computer

Default Running Guitar Through Computer

Hey everyone I am looking into making Radiohead, Aphex Twin, Muse esque sounds. I have a Fender Strat and gibson Les Paul with 2011 MBP 17". I plan to run through the program Max/Msp. I have a large pedal board to create many sounds and I run it through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. Can I get recommendations on the sound card I should upgrade to, to have no signal loss in my expensive gear. I also need recommendations on the interface I should use to get my guitar to my computer. Lastly I need thoughts on a signal chain into the computer and out. I don't have an extremely large budget but if you recommend something very expensive justify why I shouldn't get something cheaper. I want to thank everyone in advance!!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

We are using a pair of Saffire Pro 14 with the band for guitar, bass and vox processing. Scarletts are their USB equivalents.

You say you have a Mesa Boogie... are you planning to mic it? Or are you planning to plug guitars directly into the soundcard and use amp simulation software?

Regardless, I also recommend the Focusrite Saffire (firewire) or Scarlett (USB) line for a cheap, quality soundcard. I have the Scarlett 8i6 and it works great for me, both for "DJing" (I don't really DJ) and for recording.
    Check out my Youtube channel for controllerism routines, mashups, tutorials, etc. using Midi Fighters and other tasty gear.

http://www.youtube.com/user/underwaterrobots

Quote Originally Posted by underwaterrobots View Post
    You say you have a Mesa Boogie... are you planning to mic it? Or are you planning to plug guitars directly into the soundcard and use amp simulation software?

Regardless, I also recommend the Focusrite Saffire (firewire) or Scarlett (USB) line for a cheap, quality soundcard. I have the Scarlett 8i6 and it works great for me, both for "DJing" (I don't really DJ) and for recording.
    I plan to use the sound of my mesa but do I want to run one signal to the amp and then another through the computer to a direct box into the PA??

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    We are using a pair of Saffire Pro 14 with the band for guitar, bass and vox processing. Scarletts are their USB equivalents.
    Do you experience any signal loss??

Quote Originally Posted by Njurkiewicz View Post
    I plan to use the sound of my mesa but do I want to run one signal to the amp and then another through the computer to a direct box into the PA??
    If you want your amp's sound, your signal chain will be simple. Guitar into pedalboard into amp, as normal. Put a mic on the amp (Shure SM57 is a popular choice), and plug the mic into the soundcard. You will likely have to experiment with mic placement and EQing to get the sound you want from your recording software.
    Check out my Youtube channel for controllerism routines, mashups, tutorials, etc. using Midi Fighters and other tasty gear.

http://www.youtube.com/user/underwaterrobots

Quote Originally Posted by underwaterrobots View Post
    If you want your amp's sound, your signal chain will be simple. Guitar into pedalboard into amp, as normal. Put a mic on the amp (Shure SM57 is a popular choice), and plug the mic into the soundcard. You will likely have to experiment with mic placement and EQing to get the sound you want from your recording software.
    I am not looking into recording right now I am looking into using my computer as an effects processor...

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Njurkiewicz View Post
    Do you experience any signal loss??
    Noise floor is low enough for our use and as long as the gain staging is done right I don't find any noticeable differences.