Kontrol s4 with serato

Default Kontrol s4 with serato

Hi, I am a proud owner of a Kontrol s4. However since I've started to get opening dj gigs at my local clubs I've noticed that they all use serato and provide cdjs or turntables. I would really like to move my collection over to serato just to get used to it and continue to use my kontrol s4. Is there any way that would work? Eventually I would like to invest in some cdjs or turntables but that is not an option right now. Thanks!

Tech Guru

Im not sure if you can map it to scratch live, my guess is that you prob can in Serato, but you might be able to only do it w/ Serato DJ or whatever the program is called that basically replaced Itch and/or it prob isnt going to work well...again just my best guess.

My thought is, I would just use the nice equipment they are providing you. Forget about the S4. The library might be an issue. If you don't think you can hack it live without your cues and loops, they do make a program that converts your Serato info to Traktor. I dont have any experience with it, and I know that doesnt help you now, but with any new music you could set your cues and loops in Serato and transfer that to Traktor later and see if that does the trick, and slowly cue/loop your existing needed music in Serato in the mean time. I hope that helps a little.

I would use your suggestion but I have no experience with cdjs and I feel like my performance would really be subpar with them.

Tech Guru

The benefit of using CDJs/turntables is that you don't need to bring a huge controller with you to gigs.

There is no point using Serato if you are going to bring the S4 anyway, and if you do bring it, CDJs and turntables can be connected to the S4 and can be used for timecode with Traktor once you buy a Scratch Upgrade kit.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by a burdenless pig View Post
    I would use your suggestion but I have no experience with cdjs and I feel like my performance would really be subpar with them.
    I hear ya. You shouldnt worry though, they are really easy to use. You can prob just look up a picture of 2000's and 1000's and be able to go up there and use pretty much any CDJ they have (1000,800,850,900 etc), amnd know where the buttons are. Theres really not too much to them. Best case scenario is if you have a place like guitar center around, you can try out one for a lil. Who knows, you might want to buy a set after using them

i wouldnt use serato with an s4 at all. it sounds like you just want to use it because that's what everyone else does, but i wouldn't worry much about that. i don't, and almost everyone in my area uses ssl with an occasional traktor or ableton dj. i would either:

1). use the setup you have with traktor and your s4.
    2). use the equipment provided and leave your s4 out of it.

anything else will require an extra investment at this point, which sounds like you aren't ready for. as far as performing with cdjs: if you can beatmatch, you can use them fine. if you can't beatmatch, learn on your s4 and it will translate over. unless they are the 2000 nexus, then you could sync too.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music