How Do You "Give Back"
    Tech Mentor

Default How Do You "Give Back"

My LB always tells me that he wants me to look for ways I can give back to my community and pay tribute to my roots. How do you give back? And do you feel as if it is only fair if you do?

Idk about you guys but DJing in Delaware gives me the benefit of paying next to no taxes. I never get checks from venues always cash, there is no sales tax. Guitar Center in Wilmington promotes our label in their mall area, so we always have some kind of work. Many local bars regularly employ our services and we have a wealth of kind and knowledgeable DJs ready to offer their advice. I feel like working with them makes me more privileged than many others. So I always look to give back to my community whether it's a school event or a major charity that needs my help.

How about you guys?

Tech Guru

I live in the UK, here you're lucky to get any help from anyone.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0beet View Post
    My LB always tells me that he wants me to look for ways I can give back to my community and pay tribute to my roots. How do you give back? And do you feel as if it is only fair if you do?

Idk about you guys but DJing in Delaware gives me the benefit of paying next to no taxes. I never get checks from venues always cash, there is no sales tax. Guitar Center in Wilmington promotes our label in their mall area, so we always have some kind of work. Many local bars regularly employ our services and we have a wealth of kind and knowledgeable DJs ready to offer their advice. I feel like working with them makes me more privileged than many others. So I always look to give back to my community whether it's a school event or a major charity that needs my help.

How about you guys?
    I think the best way to give back is to teach others or mentor upcoming DJ's, do your own youtube tutorials etc. Think of it this way: how long has it taken you to acquire the knowledge or get to where you are today, how many times have you thought "I wish I had this knowledge back then." You can condense everything you've learned into valuable lessons that will save people loads of time, this is huge don't underestimate it.

Tech Guru

I DJ for free every year at my kids primary school summer fair. I work within the NHS which involves a lot of giving. I have also run DJ workshops for youth services around the area for basically my petrol costs. Life isn't all about cash, more so the people you are able to influence and positively affect.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.