Why do people judge? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I do agree that people need to at least have a basic understanding of CDJ's and/or TT's so they could at least wing a set if they had to. Alot of the times it is the controller folks who will look at a TT like its Chinese math.

I don't get the hate for DJ's buried behind a laptop screen. Who gives a fuck? As long as the sound is proper, you're there to dance or at least have a good time and that for me usually doesn't mean to stare at the DJ. I like the booths were you can't/barely see the DJ.

There's another side to DJing which is like a competitive sport. It's why DJ battles exist. I think competitive can be mistaken for judgmental.
    Used Record Shopper

My point isnt that people dont use timecode, my point is that it's a major pain in the ass to manage. Thats the reasoning between the Rane dual USB functions (which ironically, rarely get installed), and it's why clubs have been installing CDJ-2000's over the past 3 years. Timecode is a holdover from the 5 year period after 2003 when CDs and vinyl were the main way of getting tracks to the venue, and for people who want a vinyl feel. There's essentially no reason a laptop needs to be involved with a club setup, except in cases of legacy support (which, I admit, is pretty huge).

Compare the efforts of handing over sound cards constantly, patching the same set of RCAs in and out ad nauseum, to having virtually everyone already patched in before the show even starts via USB/SD, with literally no hardware management. Its almost like the "industry standard" install hardware has significant advantages over the incumbent system...

more residents and less guest DJs should alleviate a lot of this problem.. unless you have a headliner coming in :/

i like my simple setup, 2 X1s, audio 6, and my laptop..... done (+ mixer at the club)

In some ways bringing an s2 to a club is less intrusive than dvs/soundcards because you just need one line in. Tbh that's what originally attracted me to traktor when I was using serato because sketchy decks nearly ruined so many parties. Many venues still have cdj1000s so for me just bringing my s2 with crane stand means I can use traktor with our ripping to many cables out the back of the mixer. If the venue has 2000s I just bring a USB stick
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I don't get the hate for DJ's buried behind a laptop screen. Who gives a fuck? As long as the sound is proper, you're there to dance or at least have a good time and that for me usually doesn't mean to stare at the DJ. I like the booths were you can't/barely see the DJ.
    Its the connection to the Performer and Music thats missing if you you cant see anything.

Personally I hate when you cant see the DJ or see their reaction, especially when its a big name when you catch his/her sly grin that they know the place is going to go completely nuts at the next break, its like a little mashed up secret between the two of you that can make a night.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Its the connection to the Performer and Music thats missing if you you cant see anything.

Personally I hate when you cant see the DJ or see their reaction, especially when its a big name when you catch his/her sly grin that they know the place is going to go completely nuts at the next break, its like a little mashed up secret between the two of you that can make a night.
    That's the biggest problem with laptop DJs, it's hard to pull your eyes away from the screen sometimes. The pros still manage it, just takes a bit of discipline imo.

i'm a turntable DJ, used a vci-100 a few years back, went back to turntables... I've thought about getting an S2 for my mobile gigs/weddings b/c most people do not care what you use. The most important part is picking the right music and keeping the interaction with the crowd. I've DJ'ed events with my laptop, mixer, and a mic before when I had to sell most my gear to pay bills...

pick the right music, keep a smile on your face, and remember...your job as a DJ is to satisfy the crowd 1st and foremost... if they are not into your set it does not matter how well you mix it

ttables are a pain in the *$! to carry to gigs and setup plus they are HEAVY. I'm going to be using my Maschine Mk2 going forward unless someone really wants ttables.

i've got buddies that DJ multiple weddings with itunes and their personality. SONG SELECTION!!!
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Over here, turntables are basically extinct; even the boothes are sized specifically for CDJ1000s and a 4 channel mixer, usually screwed down in the middle. Venues usually have a mixer and a set of Denon DN-4000s (those bloody nasty rackmount things with the 1.5" jogwheels), which very few people ever use.

Most people either bring CDJs or controllers, although finding a spot for your controller (especially if it's larger than an S2) is generally a nightmare. I use a pair of Reloop Contours, so I can at least go either side of the mixer, but then you have to put your laptop off-side, which makes changing playlists etc a pain in the backside.

Personally, I can't see the point of CDJs, and never really have done; I went from using turntables back at the turn of the milennium, to a gap of about 8 years, completely skipping the CDJ generation, and then straight back into MIDI. CDJs are essentially just limited, basic versions of a Traktor setup, with very limited filters and effects (and no VST support), and you still have to carry a massive amount of media around. The 2000s are a little bit better, with USB mass storage support, but they're still basically just cut-down laptops.

With turntables you have that tactile feel and moving platters, which gives them a notable difference (not necessarily ADVANTAGE, but a difference) to MIDI controllers. I'm sure CDJs were great when they were the ONLY choice besides turntables, but MIDI should've killed off that segment of the market immediately upon release.

The irony is, it's usually the CDJ users who bitch about everyone else's equipment choice. Usually while pointing at their pitchfaders and saying, "see? SEE?!".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234