Why do people judge? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Because whoever has the most expensive gear is the best, that's why. That's 100% true, no denying it.

Quote Originally Posted by JZed View Post
    Because whoever has the most expensive gear is the best, that's why. That's 100% true, no denying it.
    Yup so true, still saving for some custom diamond&gold 2000's so I can finally spin @tomorrow land
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Guru

Putting someone or something down is a simple psychological technique to make themselves to feel better about themselves or in Transactional Analysis terms "I'm ok, your not ok". Stay in your adult and don't let them get to you. It's what they want.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

There are a lot of reasons. One is that you can do a lot of things with a digital setup that you simply can't do with a traditional 2TT and a mixer. Some old school people are threatened by this and so they push the superiority of the old ways to compensate.

Another part of it though is that a lot of digital djs are making it easy for them to do this by playing into the stereotypes. Lower costs to get into the dj game are a good thing, in general, but it's also brought more people in that aren't as dedicated. Add to that the sync button, which allows djs to mix passably well much more quickly, and you've got digital djs playing out before they're really ready. Of course, none of that is an inherent aspect of digital djing, but it means you have to push yourself more to put in the practice time that used to be mandatory just to learn to beatmatch.
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

I personally always raise an eyebrow at controller users out of sheer experience. I've been in several different scenes in the past few years, and I've literally never encountered an S4/2 owner who had both the slightest idea what they were talking about, and the ability to not infuriate every other member of the associated production.

One of my favourite stories involves the owner of a shredded S4 who had bought a Maschine to use as a gdmf trigger finger. When I explained the drum machine/sequencing "part" of the controller, he was blown away, got a 5 pin MIDI from a cable box, and then consulted me as to why no sounds were playing after he connected the S4 and Machine MIDI ports. There's just no way to deal with that level of stupid.

I've always observed 3 "levels" of controller DJs. Mind blowingly stupid assholes who derail the engineering and don't shut up, people who act defensive over their $500 lump of plastic, and DJs who show up, keep their heads down, act benevolently towards associated persons, and don't rail on about "controllerism" or whatever.

You have some beginner hardware, and you're a fresh face, if you're garnering hate, Id bet 10:1 it isnt unsolicited or related to performance skill. I think the real lesson is not to generate a chip on your shoulder against legitimate criticism, and may God help you if you actually respond to or instigate such discussions.

I judge sound quality and song selection. Don't care much about what you use.
    Used Record Shopper

Tech Wizard

meh, it's a part of live in any venture/scene/setting.

if it works for you, and you're happy with it that's all that really matters.

Tech Guru

People are stubborn, I have a friend who's buying a pair of 2000 nexuses (nexi?) after he sold his 2000s 4 months ago because he never used them. I said, why not buy a DDJ-SX and a macbook? That's still cheaper than the nexi, it gives you more in the way of sonic capabilities, it still feels like a CDJ because it is a CDJ, just in a controller, and you get a macbook to use for other things! You've seen the DJ Braindead performance video! (which he still raves about now)

You know what he says?

"It's not for me, I've always liked the idea of CDJs."

Which is pretty much like when a caveman learns how to build huts, and his fellow caveman says "It's not for me, I've always liked the idea of caves"

Sure, it might withstand a few knocks more, but it's still cold, damp and lacking in versatility. I remember when I wanted a CD deck WAAAAYY back when they first came out and I was only young, and my friends older brother, who had two technics, told me "You can't really DJ on them, you need turntables" and I was really upset because it seemed like the coolest thing in the world. Turns out, he was wrong, the CD decks could do everything the turntables did and more.

Anyways, before I go off on adventures unknown, I'll just finish here with a simple solution. If a man learns to beatbox a tune out of his rectum, and it sounds amazing, what does it matter that he has a microphone up his back passage. It's all about the sound. You can have ten gazillion bajillion Yen of equipment, and mix on 5 CDJs simultaneously using a limb for each deck, if the crowd isn't jumping, you're not doing it right.

The S2 is a great piece of kit. It does everything it needs to and can be really intuitive. People just get mad because they have spent all this money buying all this stuff and think it’s a right of passage or something.

That isn't the case anymore and they need to get over it. a great DJ can DJ can mix with cheap gear just as well as with expensive gear. It’s the DJ that makes it great not the kit...

you know what I love?

People argueing with me saying VIRTUAL DJ IS BETTER THAN TRAKTOR(no disrespect to people who use Virtual dj and know what they're doing).
    Ok shut up idiot you've never djed for real so don't start talking to me about tools.

In my personal and professional life a lot of people will argue for no real reason otherwise than sheer ignorance.
    My reply tends to be " it's a tool there is no need to attack ".

There have been multiple cases were I've been at events and I've seen digital djs having a hard time with timecode ( which I've never actually use btw), controllers, soundcards .... I've helped out more times than I can count and everyone is happy, and then they wonder WHO ARE YOU? Angel, call me Guardian Angel.
    LEARN HOW TO USE YOUR TOOLS FFS.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast