Broken CDJ 800 MK1 - Looking for Advice
    Tech Convert

Angry Broken CDJ 800 MK1 - Looking for Advice

Hey DJTT dudes,

Got an superb deal on a CDJ 800 mk1 that I was planning on using as a third deck to mess around with. The guy I got it from said he had not used it in a while and last time he used it he said it worked fine. I unfortunately was unable to test it before buying it but it was cheap enough that if it didn't work I wouldn't be too upset about it (cheaper than a night at the bar). Well of course, it doesn't work.

The symptoms are not really indicative of just one piece being broken so I am at sort of a loss about where to start and was hoping maybe one of you guys had cracked one open or have seen this issue before.

1. The unit is plugged in and when you depress the power button it doesn't turn on. A slight tap on the top of the case and it magically comes to life. Whats going on here?

2.When it is on, the display and the middle of the jog wheel show no data. The rest of the buttons except the cue and start buttons are working and behave correctly. I assume this is all connected in the start up chain.

3.The CDJ will not eat a cd. A slight tap here seems to move it along to another mode where it can.
    It appears to me that the unit is not starting up all the way and there is something broken impeding that start up.

Anybody got any ideas?

This youtube video is exactly what is going on with mine except my start button has no power.

Tech Guru

I think one or more ribbon cables might be unplugged inside the unit, the power issue is probably a loose connection...im guessing it has been dropped
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    I think one or more ribbon cables might be unplugged inside the unit, the power issue is probably a loose connection...im guessing it has been dropped
    I hope so. I will crack it open a bit later and check to see if everything is connected where it should be. I know it works to some capacity because I saw parts of it light up.

I will let you know how it goes.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by johnklock View Post
    I hope so. I will crack it open a bit later and check to see if everything is connected where it should be. I know it works to some capacity because I saw parts of it light up.

I will let you know how it goes.
    I cracked it open and there were 3 cables loose, the second (has a transformer on it) power board was loose, and 1 capacitor was blown. By some act of god, I had that same cap at the bottom of my tool bag so I did some soldering and attached everything back together and now it works like a charm.

Nice. That's awesome!

Default no display pioneer cdj 800 mk 1

Quote Originally Posted by johnklock View Post
    I cracked it open and there were 3 cables loose, the second (has a transformer on it) power board was loose, and 1 capacitor was blown. By some act of god, I had that same cap at the bottom of my tool bag so I did some soldering and attached everything back together and now it works like a charm.
    Hello, goodafternoon, i have the same problem with my displays, so the top display and the jogdisplay.

Can you tell how you solved it and wich capacitor was blown ( perhaps a picture or so? )

My display was working fine but when i opened the player for cleaning, i moved the top just to far from the bottom and the cable came a little bit loose ( in the top connection ). I tried to fix the cable correctly, even tried the cable from my other player but it won't work anymore. So i suspect that my capacitor is also blown but i don't know which one.

Many thanks for your quick reply.

Kind regards
    Mario oudwater
    Holland

Default IC Links

Check all the IC links on SECB Board. (ic58 was bad) That worked for me! photo (1).jpg