How to unwarp a record ? I can't beatmatch with it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to unwarp a record ? I can't beatmatch with it.

Hi

I ordered some records from chemical records and one of them was warped like bowl pretty bad.
    It still plays fine but because it's a bowl shape one side does not have enough surface area on the slipmat to generate friction when I release it.

So when I let go on the "one" it takes a while for the record to match the platter's speed.

How do I go about unwarping it ?

There are ways of doing it - but you're better off just giving the record a little "push" when yu release it.

TBH - you should be doing this anyway to a certain degree with all records.

Anyway:

DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I just throw them away...lol
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Quote Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL View Post
    I just throw them away...lol
    It's a brand new repress of a tune I really like

I think it's pretty risky trying to melt your vinyl, should prolonged exposure to weight on top of the record pressed on a hard surface do the trick ?

And I tried beatmatching with adding a push but the phase is still so off I just might as well press play on a random moment.

I have heard before of using a hair dryer and put between books. That was old school though, before folks cared terribly about fidelity.
    Transcendent Tuesdays weekly DNB on www.KRISISDnB.com 8:30-10pm UK time.

Tech Mentor

I've heard loads of ghetto methods but most of them cause more harm than good tbqh.

Try leaving it for few days pressed between a few other tunes on your shelf to see if that straightens it out, before you go applying any heat or heavy weight on it. I've had some success leaving slightly warped vinyl in a glass picture frame for a week, myself.

If that doesn't work and you're gonna heat it up or weigh it down, be really careful not to overdo it with the heat or the weight and let it cool down completely before you remove the weight. The expensive vinyl flattening/unwarping machines only go up to about 65 degrees c (150 F) and don't apply much pressure on the vinyl, so they don't press out the ridge either side of the groove or damage the tiny bumps in the groove.

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    It's a brand new repress of a tune I really like

I think it's pretty risky trying to melt your vinyl, should prolonged exposure to weight on top of the record pressed on a hard surface do the trick ?

And I tried beatmatching with adding a push but the phase is still so off I just might as well press play on a random moment.
    If it is brand new then RETURN it for a new copy.
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

if it's really bad just email them, i know when i bought some records off juno which all came badly warped/bowled one simple email and they sent me new copies
    Parts
    Technics 1210//CDJ400//DDM4000//X1//Audio 10//MBP 15" Mid 2012

Yeah, return it, if they still have some in stock to send you a new one (have done that a few times without problems). Apart from that, I've read good things about record clamps (additional weights you put directly on the spindle/record, also supposed to increase sound quality), but I don't have any first hand experience.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Chemical has a replacement underway

great customer service

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast