Just cant master doing a simple mix, any tips?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Just cant master doing a simple mix, any tips?

so i have been djing for a while now and i have dont several mixes, and the sound ok, but i sometimes sit down to do a simple mix (a pratice session) and i just cant mix, i dont know if its my song choice, or the if theres something i am doing wrong; i have watched plenty off videos! Sorry if this sounds a bit but it just fustrates me, any tips?

I started doing my practice sessions on Mixler so I know theres a chance someone could be listening.

It makes me perform to a better degree and feed back is good too.

Everyone has off days. If i'm not feeling the music, I don't mix well. "You can't force the cards."

Tech Guru

When I am learning to do something new....it tends to be OK at the start, when I am taking extra care and few risks. Then, as I get more confident, and start taking more risks....things can fall apart very quickly. Pushing through for a while is needed to allow the mechanics of the skill to catch up with the desire.

As an exercise....set a really solid loop....say 8 beats. Use a song with a simple music arrangement during the loop. Just let that run. Now beatmix another track onto that. In effect, there is only one track to control during the process...and no time limit on completing the mix.

Cue the second song to a "1". Count with the loop to "8" a couple of times...then when the 1 of the loop rolls around, press play on the second song. This will at least start you off with everything "in the ballpark."
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

listen to songs carefully, walk before you can run.

One recurring problem I've seen with beginners is not having a basic understanding of song structure(bars,phrases etc).
    I have no idea what genre(s) you mix, but in many cases the structure and formatting will be the same across the board of a same genre ( there are also many exceptions obviously).

Now your message is also confusing, are you just plain "bad" or do you have off days? Off days happen to everyone but over time you develop ways to deal with these problems, you have to find your own formula

You are doing something wrong - not practicing enough. We've ALL been where you are.

Now, you won't pull off a perfect mix ever single time you step in front of your decks/controller, but the longer you work at it, the easier it gets, and the more natural it feels.

Eventually, you WILL be able to mix perfectly for hours on end. But you HAVE to put in the hrs. Lots, and lots of hours. And you have to make mistakes (lots and lots and lots!!!)

The key is - NOT to call an end to your practice session just because you've made a train wreck. Resilience is your friend! Don't get frustrated. Either hit stop and start again, or restart your last track and take it from there.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

as others said just keep practicing and work on recovering from your errors. try not to let them frustrate you into stopping your sessions if it's happening consistently. i've been djing (off and on) for a long time and i still have an occasional set that is borderline awful. i also make minor mistakes in just about every session, but they usually end up being virtually unnoticeable when i listen back, though they seem glaring in the moment.

if you want specific criticism because you can't hear or feel what you are doing wrong, record a set and we can tell you where the mistakes are and what you might be able to do in order to fix them.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Wizard

Even when I was DJing regularly, i had off days. If you feel it's something more then an off day then here are some things to try.

1. Check your monitoring setup, maybe you aren't hearing what you need to be hearing well enough.
    2. give yourself time to warm up. Try mixing the same 2 tracks back and forth a few times.
    3. Don't be overly critical (always my problem). While listening to mixes of mine I can hear every little mistake, nobody else hears them. If i don't listen to the mix for a few months and come back to it, I cannot hear the minor mistakes either.

Tech Wizard

Practice until you are blue in the face. If you make mistakes, you're doing it right.

Just keep at it mate you'll get there
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast