Dj kit in dorms!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dj kit in dorms!?

Hey.
    Well I don't know how to ask this, but generally speaking, I am going to attend college this year and am starting to plan. Dj kit in dorms...should I be worried about stuff getting stollen? How can I prevent it? What can I do to assure that my kit will be safe?

Oh and I will be attending Chico, San Jose or San Francisco state university if anyone is familiar with any of these.
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Go to Chico State, and live in the University Apartments. Its a bit of a shitfest, but its pretty secure.

Source: I live there right now.

Tech Convert

I also DJ in college (as well as for college events and private parties).

It depends on your school, but your gear is safest in your dorm (provided you don't have a roommate, otherwise, it's only as safe as they are).

Now events / parties are another story. Most college parties are a TON of fun to play, but are a NIGHTMARE for gear!

Cramped rooms and open drinks everywhere, coupled with the inexplicable desire of people wanting to set things down on your table / gear, means you need to be on watch all the time, making it clear to people to keep their drinks far away from your gear.

Also, make sure you anchor your dj table down well, as one crowd swell or drunk-party go-er, and all your gear can come crashing down.

Bottom line, theft is unlikely in your dorm but possible at parties (don't leave the decks).

Well that's a relief! Thanks a lot. Still haven't heard back, but those 3 are top of my list.
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Quote Originally Posted by dubyou View Post
    Hey.
    Well I don't know how to ask this, but generally speaking, I am going to attend college this year and am starting to plan. Dj kit in dorms...should I be worried about stuff getting stollen? How can I prevent it? What can I do to assure that my kit will be safe?

Oh and I will be attending Chico, San Jose or San Francisco state university if anyone is familiar with any of these.
    If you've got those Kensington lock ports, use them. Try to get a big flight case and lock it up at the hinges when it's not being used.

K locks are a very very big yes, make sure you fix it to something solid though otherwise whats the point?

dont leave it lying out, hidden in a flightcase is good,
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

There's a lot of gear that you can hook the kensington locks into, just lock it all up, and if you are using turntables, use the covers when they aren't in use.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

I did a lot of collage parties and other events when I went to school.

I'll tell you, Flight cases seriously helped. As much as i hated the size of an all-in-one coffin style flight case, it really was a lifesaver (except on your back). set up and tear-down in minutes. It also helps keep your gear in pristine condition. it really saves them from bumps and dings on the road or at a party.
    I have several 1980's 1200's that have been hundreds of parties at this point and are still in excellent condition and are on flight case #3.
    also if you have your own amps. an amp rack style flight case for the amps, effects ,extra bits does help.

for the dorm room itself, the coffin helped to keep the place tidy. i kept the lid on it and locked when not in use.

For the party side, your enemy are drunks and liquids (usually one from the other). you would be lucky if you got a folding table to use at some places.. More then once we had to "borrow" Street barricades (horses). having a coffin helps here again .. (so might investing in a folding table)
    you got to watch out for those drinks though. i cant count how many cups would by on my DJ table.. or how many idiots would just set a drink on a turntable or cd player. I have had drinks spilled on my stuff. at least twice. honestly most people will respect your gear, but some people wont. In the end, accidents and fights do happen.

I also have played several gigs (lets call them less then authorized events) where we literally had to tear down and be gone in a few minutes... again a flight case made this easy. pull the plug, put the lid on, and go!

Keep in mind, for each party, you might not need your entire Kit.. perhaps a minimalist kit. For that drunken frat party, leave the CDJ2000's and F1's in the dorm and bring a used Xponate or something.

PS. a Handy bit that I did back in school... even if you're not the DJ for a party. you might be able to make some cash renting out your gear.
    After a few parties I had made enough to get a new set of gear for my studio and demote my old gear to literally the mobile set up. my gear was out almost every weekend even if I was not spinning or only 1 of several DJ's (while making the rental fee also) and i was able to make new connections and more contacts at each party.

Quote Originally Posted by johnm View Post
    PS. a Handy bit that I did back in school... even if you're not the DJ for a party. you might be able to make some cash renting out your gear.
    Oh god. I would never do this.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    Oh god. I would never do this.
    I should point out I was responsible for set up and tear down. I was at the same gig as the gear. i didnt just let some bozo pick them up and leave with them .. then again a lot of the party is did had named talent. They would hire a DJ like Derrick Carter, Spencer Kincey or Green Velvet for a night to spin.. these guys expect certain equipment to be there when they showed up..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast