Lacking in Groove....at the moment.

Default Lacking in Groove....at the moment.

Hi guys, need some help in regards to some techniques here.

Ive got a maschine, and ive got the hang of arranging beats and making a track. I have everything laid out as a house track should in regards to drum/beat patterns and percussion/claps etc

What the tracks are seriously lacking in at the moment is Groove. My leads/chords sound clunky and very stabby/Blocky (the best i can explain it!) with no flow to them and ive yet to nail that rolling background bass/sub that house tracks have.

Im in need of some pointers!
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DubluW View Post
    Im in need of some pointers!
    So are we!

Some examples of what you're talking about would be extremely helpful (and by examples I mean audio files of your work)

Swing Quantize!

Groove isn't just timing either, but volume. If all your sounds on a track are at the same volume, there's not much feeling there. For things like high hats, I almost always slightly randomize the volume a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Swing Quantize!

Groove isn't just timing either, but volume. If all your sounds on a track are at the same volume, there's not much feeling there. For things like high hats, I almost always slightly randomize the volume a little.
    Swing quantize isnt necessary at all. I feel his choice of sounds are the problem. Post up your track OP.

Do you mean side chaining? That's what gives your synths and other melodics that pulsing sound.

Not sure if you can do it in Maschine, but Google sidechaining, it's pretty easy and I think that's what you mean, not actual "groove".

Ive had an arse around in it and got i wanted! Just used a bit of auto wr and twiddling some knobs for the sub to give a bit more wavey type bass, and that side chaining thing can be done in maschine, with a extra plug in according to a video on youtube, so i'll give that a whack.

Im totally new to producing tracks and so im finding things out as i go along. Often as not, youtube and messing around with bits and pieces till i get what i want out of it (although slow) is slowly making things click. Thanks for the help anyway chaps.

Now for a beer and maschine session.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.