another first timer DIY midi controller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default another first timer DIY midi controller

Hey everyone!
    So its my first thread here and probably like my 5th post ever, but I've been reading these forums / midi box / arduino playground etc etc for months and months and months now. Finally got off the interweb and decided to start working out my midi controller project. The Plan.jpg

So far I've gutted a Mixman DM2 Digital Music Mixer that I bought off ebay ($25.94) to try and salvage the jogwheels (No go thus far) and maybe use as a midi brain (no go, way too erratic)
    Got a second hand arduino ($50), super useful (taught me many many things!) but in the end won't have enough inputs (got an UNO + kit)

This is a mockup based on what I do have/plan to get & the enclosure is still up in the air (maybe briefcase?)
    big red button was for jokes, but then I went and bought it, so there's that... anyway, parts list:

SparkFun.com
    • 1 x COM-09181 - Big Dome Push Button - Red - $9.95
    • 1 x COM-09032 - Thumb Joystick - $3.95
    • 1 x COM-07835 - Button Pad 4x4 - LED Compatible - $9.95
    • 10 x COM-09939 - Rotary Potentiometer - 10k Ohm, Linear ($0.86 ea.) - $8.60
    • 1 x CAB-10649 - Ribbon Cable - 10 wire (3ft) - $0.95
    • 1 x CAB-10648 - Ribbon Cable - 6 wire (3ft) - $0.75
    • 4 x COM-09277 - Button Pad 2x2 - Breakout PCB ($4.95 ea.) - $19.80

Total + Shipping: $66.85

Djtechtools.com
    • (50% off sale) 6 x Arcade Button - Black with Clear Rim - $6.54
    • (50% off sale) 2 x Arcade Button - Black - $2.18
    • (50% off sale) 2 x Arcade Button - Red - $2.18

Total + Shipping: $24.85

- which means so far, I only have about 60% of the parts I need

- I've also gone and gotten the usual first timer's works at a local electronics store, Soldering iron, solder, station, sponge, buncha resistors, buncha wire, couple wire cutters, 99c crossfaders, couple buttons here and there, spent $50 there

My original enclosure idea was going to be this nice thin wooden box I found at a thrift shop, but its a couple inches too small if I really want jogwheels (do I?) (k, thought about it, totally need anyway)

I think I'll go with this (many of you may remember this instructable featured here on the blog) FBYAM08FN82OE6G.LARGE.jpg

someone's done it with an arduino mega and survived!

K, this is getting long, apologies.
    Last but certainly not least:
    I was going to get me a teensy 3.0 teensy3_pins.jpg $19 without pins, $22 with
    but then I saw that Livid's announced an affordable brain! check it http://shop.lividinstruments.com/brain-jr/ $49, 16 digital connections and 16 analog connections.
    That sounds like all I need.
    If I'm wrong, good heavens please tell me.

Anyway so this is where I am now, still trying to pick a brain and not enough inputs on my arduino UNO so i'm unsure whether there's a point in starting the wiring, but if anyone has any suggestions for me, I'd welcome them and also would hope they'd help someone else (any thing you'd add to the controller? should I go midibox and scrap teensy/livid? should I get the $189 livid builder brain cause it'd save me a hassle? Have any of you successfully DIYed some jogwheels? Care to share the experience?)

Oi, that's enough out of me. thanks in advance for any input, folks!

Tech Wizard

i don't quite follow you here. What are you trying to build? As all i see is a substandard controller that will cost you far too much.
    If you were creating something different, i could understand.

Anyway, are the buttons across the top all arcade buttons? if so i think you need to make a scale drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by sev View Post
    As all i see is a substandard controller that will cost you far too much.
    If you were creating something different, i could understand.

Anyway, are the buttons across the top all arcade buttons? if so i think you need to make a scale drawing.
    k, wow, maybe, just maybe I was in it for a learning experience about midi, electronics, coding, and microcontrollers?

anyway, yeah, as I've said, I'm new at this, I'll make a drawing to scale, (I just photoshopped based on parts mounted on cardboard) and again, maybe some things could be added and somethings could be removed, open to actually constructive suggestions like I've already stated. Here to learn, yeah?

I mean if I had the money to buy an S4, I'd probably still be doing this, it'd maybe look different who knows, but that isn't the point. Jeesh.

Looks awesome
    Hopes
    Dj: Behringer cmd studio 4a, Akai LPD8, Pioneer HDJ-500, Traktor 2

Producing: Oxygen 49, Akai LPD8, Fl Studio

Tech Wizard

How are you getting 50% off buttons from djtt?

Quote Originally Posted by troopa View Post
    How are you getting 50% off buttons from djtt?
    there was a "most things are 50% off" sale right around early december - around the time the OG midi fighter was discontinued/sold at discount- ack, almost bought it too but needed money for travel+christmas

Quote Originally Posted by thesalivationarmy View Post
    there was a "most things are 50% off" sale right around early december - around the time the OG midi fighter was discontinued/sold at discount- ack, almost bought it too but needed money for travel+christmas
    didn't even notice that at the time O.o

Are you sure you want those cue points up there? and the pitch why up that much? - imo it would be better to have your pitch faders next to your jogs, it's more efficient.

If you can add them: Filter knobs are really nice to play with
    Oh and maybe 2 knobs for each deck: that turn the cue point buttons into effect buttons just like a Midi Fighter.
    I'd advise you too to make a scaled sketch: it would give you a better base to see visually to see what you miss.

Oh and this is gonna be an expensive project and take quite some time, so do you should be 200% enthousiastic
    anyway good luck

maybe you should also message Joel santos http://forum.djtechtools.com/member.php?u=38299
    he knows quite a lot I noticed in another thread
    NI Traktor Kontrol S4 - Sennheiser HD 25 - MF SPECTRA

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by thesalivationarmy View Post
    k, wow, maybe, just maybe I was in it for a learning experience about midi, electronics, coding, and microcontrollers?

anyway, yeah, as I've said, I'm new at this, I'll make a drawing to scale, (I just photoshopped based on parts mounted on cardboard) and again, maybe some things could be added and somethings could be removed, open to actually constructive suggestions like I've already stated. Here to learn, yeah?

I mean if I had the money to buy an S4, I'd probably still be doing this, it'd maybe look different who knows, but that isn't the point. Jeesh.
    I wasn't trying to flame you at all, i was just trying to work out what it is you are building, as i was going to recommend buying a 2nd hand controller, and modding it to suit your needs, as it looks like your parts list is a tad on the expensive side.

If you think you are going to build a midi controller to save money, you will be sadly out of luck. Anyone on here that builds/has built controllers does it for the enjoyment. If you are looking to save $$ and build instead of buy, maybe look into midrange controllers and buy one.

Another option is to pick up something like an xsession pro, and use the board as your brain. Wire all of your pots, faders and buttons into it.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    If you think you are going to build a midi controller to save money, you will be sadly out of luck. Anyone on here that builds/has built controllers does it for the enjoyment. If you are looking to save $$ and build instead of buy, maybe look into midrange controllers and buy one.

Another option is to pick up something like an xsession pro, and use the board as your brain. Wire all of your pots, faders and buttons into it.
    you clearly have not read all posts...
    He said he wasn't 'in it' because he would save $$

He wanted to learn from it.
    NI Traktor Kontrol S4 - Sennheiser HD 25 - MF SPECTRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast