What to get what to do??!!
    Tech Wizard

Default What to get what to do??!!

So I am new to the Dj scene and well pretty much new to everything that is electronic music. I've listen to dubstep for like every and I love EDM and house music. recently I've fallen in love with trap and finger drumming. When I discovered finger drumming I immediately bought a midi fighter 3d but now I want to progress and do bigger things. I have a soundcloud and its www.soundcloud.com/gagnon23 go check it out if you want. but I just want to know what to do next? I want to make dubstep and mix songs but I don't know what to even buy.... I'm getting my taxes back soon and I'll get around $550 so I need to know something affordable and good. So if anyone has any insight they would like to share with me that would be awesome. Thank you everyone, BTW my name is Jacob.

Maschine + Massive and a cheap midi keyboard. Or do a bunch of research and find out what you really want / need.

^THAT is a good answer!
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

i'm not seeing how you can't progress with your midifighter 3d. i've seen people do crazy stuff with them and i doubt you've hit the ceiling of its capabilities. what you really need is more practice, not more gear...but yeah i get it, erryone loves new gear.

you also didn't say what software you use with the mf3d so it's tough to say.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Wizard

I use ableton live for like drum racks and what have you and U use traktor Pro for mixes but its hard to really use that because I don't have any faders so switch songs is difficult not to mention I'm not really sure on how to use it......

but yeah I love my 3D and by no means to I think I am awesome or anything, but like you said everyone likes new gear. But yeah if I'm not in class or at work I am drumming my heart away.

Tech Wizard

would maschine mikro be okay ? or should I go for the big boy either one to me looks badass and they both come with Massive at least I believe thats what I read.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    Maschine + Massive and a cheap midi keyboard. Or do a bunch of research and find out what you really want / need.
    Is there a certain inexpensive midi keyboard you would suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by gagnon23 View Post
    would maschine mikro be okay ? or should I go for the big boy either one to me looks badass and they both come with Massive at least I believe thats what I read.
    Quote Originally Posted by gagnon23 View Post
    Is there a certain inexpensive midi keyboard you would suggest?

Both of these can be better answered by doing some research rather than asking myself.

Look up the capabilities of each maschine and see what each has to offer relative to what you want from your purchase. I am positive that I have seen threads here discussing and comparing the two; search. A maschine might not even be best for your needs.

Go to your local music store (guitar center, sam ash, etc.) and try different midi keyboards. Look up reviews.

If you truly want to succeed in making and mixing music, you'll put more effort into making the right purchases.

practice before buying anything... learn your software, which ever you choose. i recommend using ableton. once you get comfortable and know what you want to and need to control then you can find a controller that fits those needs.

Tech Guru

So true ^

I got an APC 40 impulse buy, but I'm finding that I barely even use any of the features of the APC40 when producing. Would have been way better off with a nice midi keyboard.