The DJ Argument by DJ Bobby Hickz

Default The DJ Argument by DJ Bobby Hickz

The DJ Argument by DJ Bobby Hickz

So with this new technological world we live in, we are faced with the opportunity and possibilities to try things that were much more difficult to try in the past, namely DJing. We have new apps and DJ software that can be easily downloaded and anyone can try their hand at spinning. You can even hook it up to a powerful sound system and presto, instant party with a DJ. Well, if you’ve ever been to a shindig with an amateur DJ, that has been in the biz all but 3 hours, you will soon understand that it takes a lot more than just choosing music and beat mixing.

The art of DJing, as we know it, goes back to that infamous era of bell bottoms and Disco, where DJ’s played at huge packed Disco’s and Roller Rinks. DJ’s across the Nation would spin all night long and where the Disco Ball was the center of attraction.

Well the times have changed but not the love for spinning. What most people don’t know that being a DJ requires passion, dedication, love for music and the desire to please the crowd. You can only be as good as your inventory of music, music knowledge and experience. If you have DJed as many venues, parties, events, stadiums…etc. as I have, then you know for a fact, that reading a crowd, and having numerous past mixes under you belt, knowing what button does what, what mixes with what, where that momentary pause is…..I can go on and on about all kind of techniques, and tricks of the trade, but I won’t.
    The bottom line is, DJing is like any other skill, you only get good at it the more you practice, and the more events you attend. When a DJ is not behind the wheelz of steel spinning to a packed crowd, he is listening with a trained ear at new material, making a list of music to play at his next gig or perhaps updating his repertoire, investing in new technology, checking out the latest software…etc. and always thinking of new sound and ways to entertain.

DJing is much more than just picking a track and beat mixing.
    Last edited by DJ Bobby Hickz; 02-02-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Tech Convert

DJ Harvey's 6th commandment: Selection trumps the mix. Always worth bearing in mind.

All valid statements, but you're preaching to the choir mate.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

You have to understand that there's three different perceptions of what a DJ does:

1. The Crowd
    The crowd thinks you're a jukebox. They come up to you, ask for a song, and you play it. When a "serious" DJ just tells them to fuck off, they think you're an asshole.

2. The Club Owners
    A bad club owner (read: MOST club owners) think you're there to supply the equipment and the music. They tell you what sort of music to play, and bitch and whine if you play something different.

3. The DJ
    The DJ knows what his job really is. Well, proper DJs anyway. A DJ's job is to socially engineer the crowd through his performance. You're not putting one track on after the other, you're subliminally controlling the crowd. You have to read the atmosphere in the room, take note of what groups on the dancefloor are doing what, check peoples expressions to make sure they're not getting bored, make sure everyone has a drink in their hand, etc. If not enough people are drinking or dancing, you raise the tempo and make people move, which makes people sweat, which makes people drink more. A good DJ can be the difference between the bar taking £3000 and taking £5000. A good club owner should understand this, and the customers shouldn't.

Saying that, all of the above applies strictly to COMMERCIAL venues only; music-focussed venues are a bit different.

K.I.S.S.:

- don't pick the wrong song
    - don't trainwreck
    - enjoy it
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lenodd View Post
    DJ Harvey's 6th commandment: Selection trumps the mix. Always worth bearing in mind.
    Went see DJ Harvey in Manchester a few weeks back (if your talking Harvey from UK, exiled in Hawaii). He's a hero of mine.
    I saw him about 13 years ago at the Electric Chair in Manc. Best DJ/nite of my life.

Tech Convert

Yes - great dj. Stayed true to himself and the music. Still dig his sarcastic mix.

Default I know

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    All valid statements, but you're preaching to the choir mate.
    But it gets people talking and that's what I wanted....cheers mate