Using Kontrol X1 & Traktor with Ableton - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Okay, sorry to dig this back up.... But I've JUST (believe it or not) got round to doing this, now im following this tutorial:

And ive followed everything fine, apart from the part where i have to assign my MIDI controller, now i click 'MIDI' in ableton, select what i need to on the plugin, but when it comes to mapping it to an actual physical knob, I cant.. I'm using my Kontrol X1 with Traktor, and when I press a button or move a knob on the X1, it doesnt do anything?

Do I need to separately set up my Kontrol X1 inside of Ableton first or? Help please!

Thank you
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Okay, sorry to dig this back up.... But I've JUST (believe it or not) got round to doing this, now im following this tutorial:

And ive followed everything fine, apart from the part where i have to assign my MIDI controller, now i click 'MIDI' in ableton, select what i need to on the plugin, but when it comes to mapping it to an actual physical knob, I cant.. I'm using my Kontrol X1 with Traktor, and when I press a button or move a knob on the X1, it doesnt do anything?

Do I need to separately set up my Kontrol X1 inside of Ableton first or? Help please!

Thank you
    In Ableton, you need to go into your preferences, select MIDI Sync, and tick the box under Remote next to Input: Kontrol X1.

If you're using a vst,you may need to press the teeny arrow next to the power on the device, click configure, click the control in the VST, exit the configure mode, and map the knob to the resulting control in the Ableton device bar.

Hi mate, thanks ever so much for replying. I manage to get it working in the end, followed a tut from NI, and yes that's exactly what they instructed, to turn click 'remote' on, for the x1 input & output in the LIVE MIDI sync preferences.

I've mapped it out and its working now and it's such a good feeling because I've been trying it for so long now. One thing though....

My intentions were to use the Ableton live plugin (lexicon PSP42) over my Tracks that are playing from Traktor.. This isn't working, I had to place a track into Ableton, and then the VST effect worked over that, now I want to just use it over my Traktor tracks, and sounds that i trigger on maschine, but mainly traktor.

As i found it impossible to mix from the track playing in ableton to my Traktor music... How can i do this?

Hope you can help, cheers.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Sure - just route the outputs from Traktor to Soundflower and then set up Soundflower as your input device in Ableton. There are LOTS of tutorials on how to do just this.

[It's not easy to do this with the Kontrol Z2, so I use an additional soundcard. I find that in general, I have much lower latency doing things this way. Also note that I usually route the whole main output from Traktor through Ableton, but as I play primarily my own productions and routines, this works for me.]

Okay so you don't think I'll be able to just do it with my Audio 10, using the AUX and Return? Will I have to get soundflower and do it that way?

As well as applying the plugin effect that ive got in ableton, over my traktor deck tracks, I would also like to use it over sounds on maschine while DJing. I currently have maschine coming out one of my Xone92 channels, i use that channel for Traktor Deck C, as well as Maschine.

Okay so you don't think I'll be able to just do it with my Audio 10, using the AUX and Return? Will I have to get soundflower and do it that way?

As well as applying the plugin effect that ive got in ableton, over my traktor deck tracks, I would also like to use it over sounds on maschine while DJing. I currently have maschine coming out one of my Xone92 channels, i use that channel for Traktor Deck C, as well as Maschine.
    Why not just run Maschine as a VST in Ableton? That's what I do and what I recommend.

Soundflower is free.

I figure that you out to be able to do it on an Audio 10 if you'd prefer that.

A lot of people have said this... It's also the way that Chris Liebing does it, which I saw on his "How I play" DJTT video. So how exactly do I get Maschine to open up as VST in Ableton properly? Because I've opened it up before and I can't seem to use the hardware with it... Can't use it in Step mode and trigger pads etc

And yeah, I really would just prefer to use my Audio 10 for it, but I'm not sure I can... Someone did say that I would need 1 or 2 extra ins/outs.

A lot of people have said this... It's also the way that Chris Liebing does it, which I saw on his "How I play" DJTT video. So how exactly do I get Maschine to open up as VST in Ableton properly? Because I've opened it up before and I can't seem to use the hardware with it... Can't use it in Step mode and trigger pads etc

And yeah, I really would just prefer to use my Audio 10 for it, but I'm not sure I can... Someone did say that I would need 1 or 2 extra ins/outs.
    That doesn't sound right to me. As a VST, it works almost exactly the same way.

So literally all I need to do is just open up Maschine as a VST in Ableton. And then I can apply plugins in Ableton over it? I guess I need to look up how to route it all so that the audio
    From Maschine plays out?

So literally all I need to do is just open up Maschine as a VST in Ableton.
    Yes

And then I can apply plugins in Ableton over it?
    Sure

I guess I need to look up how to route it all so that the audio From Maschine plays out?
    It goes to the master by default, like any track. You can group it with the audio from one of your tracks or whatever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast