Using Kontrol X1 & Traktor with Ableton
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Using Kontrol X1 & Traktor with Ableton

Sup people.

Right, tomorrow i am going to sync Ableton live 8 with TSP2 (watching Endo's youtube tutorial), and i was wondering, after i have done this, is it possible to somehow set one of my kontrol x1's to control ableton somehow, like trigger fx or to adjust plugin parameters?

I see dubfire and hawtin use this set up, and im assuming hawtin uses his kontrol x1 to control plugins/fx in ableton/traktor..

I'm not a whizz kid at all this, so not sure how to get it all running... Can I actually 'map' one of my X1's to control the knobs on plugins - in ableton?

I am using MBP, TSP2, Maschine(running as a live input in traktor), (traktor and maschine synced up), 2 kontrol X1's, 1 for 2 Traktor decks, and the other to apply traktor FX on maschine, so i have one complete half of an X1 thats not being used.

Of course with this, I would still want to have the use of most of my x1, for syncing, fx etc, so wouldn't want ableton to take up all the buttons on my X1..

If anyone could help, and/or post links to videos showing how to map an X! to control certain parts of ableton, and what exactly the X1 CAN actually control, i.e plugins etc.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Superfreak; 02-01-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Sure - the X1 can control anything in Ableton you want. It maps just like any other device.

Okay thanks. can I control the parameters of a plugin in ableton with the X1? For example I have a Lexicon PSP 42 Delay plugin, and i would like to map some of the kontrol X1 knobs to the 'depth' 'rate' knobs on the plugin to adjust... Ta

À single midi controller can't control multiple application at once unless you use Some kind of virtual midi patch... Like a Y cable/splitter

In Traktor, unless you specified, your x1 is not running in midi mode but in HID/NHL mode. so what you'll need to do to use one half for Traktor and thé other for Ableton is to redo your Traktor X1 mapping but in midi mode... And then in Ableton

You could still leave your mapping AS IS but switch your X1 in midi mode when you want to control Ableton....

Lot of possibility.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Ah right..

No my X1 is not in MIDI mode i literally ONLY use my X1 for the 6 FX's, the loop function, browsing through my Traktor library, and sync.. I have 2 X1's, 1 is for two Traktor decks, and the other im using to add the Traktor FX over Maschine, and for that I'm only using one half of the 2nd X1...

So could I somehow map the 2nd half of my 2nd X1 for ableton stuff?
    I haven't mapped anything with traktor or my x1 or anything yet, I'm really not sure on how to do any of this, or what exactly i need to do to map X1 to control ableton/plugins...? :-(

What you want to do is quite doable. no worries. Switch your x1 IN MIDI mode and check youtube, dubspot and such. quite à lot of tutorial about that all over the place.

Same goes for Traktor... There's a few tutorial in the various djtt blogs
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Okay thanks. can I control the parameters of a plugin in ableton with the X1? For example I have a Lexicon PSP 42 Delay plugin, and i would like to map some of the kontrol X1 knobs to the 'depth' 'rate' knobs on the plugin to adjust... Ta
    Yep. Just tick 'Configure' in the plugin box, touch the parameter in the plugin's own GUI, and it should be Midi-mappable using the regular-old command-M midi mapping interface.

Thanks for the help people.
    going to check some videos on how to do it all exactly,

one thing.. Can I use my X1 to control something in ableton, WITHOUT syncing both traktor and ableton up?

Like just control some plugin parameters with the X1? Cheers.

Sure - just don't sync them up.

Great, cheers man. Going to get this going asap!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast