Questions about my kontrol s2
    Tech Wizard

Default Questions about my kontrol s2

Hey everyone I am new to the forum, as far as posting goes. But I have a couple of questions in regards to my traktor kontrol s2. First question is regards to the mapping of my controller. I really want to be able to access hotcues 5 - 8 using probably shift plus hot cue 1 - 4, instead of making shift plus 1 - 4 being delete I want it to access hot cues 5 - 8. I have tried to find a mapping for this the rest of the start mapping is fine. I just want to get to those cues without pusing buttons on my keyboard of my laptop. Are there mappings here that allows that? Or can anyone show me how. I have tried to figure it out, and mapping is not my strong suit to say the least.

My second question is about the occasional like studder, or skipping on traktor. I have seen youtube videos where it says to elliminate this turn off multi core processing and lower your latency. The audio settings i have found that work the best so far are process buffer to 96 samples usb buffer 2 ms. I have also figured out that when using group effects my load meter is off the chart so i have to use single effects mode. This atleast makes it manageable, but still does the skipping/studdering occasionally.

processor:amd a6 processor
    ram: 16.0 gb
    windows 7 64 bit

Buying a new computer is not a option right now, i know amd processors are not ideal. Will purchasing a ssd drive help? Is there anything else I can do? Also turning off wifi is not a option either...looking forward to replies. Thanks everyone

Tech Wizard

Anyone have any ideas at all?

Tech Guru

Check the Kontrol S2 tab in Traktor Settings for your sample buttons.

Lowering latency will increase load and cause more skipping. Increase it if you are having problems.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Check the Kontrol S2 tab in Traktor Settings for your sample buttons.

Lowering latency will increase load and cause more skipping. Increase it if you are having problems.
    thanks alot for the reply, I had thought lowering the latency lowers load not increases it I am glad you said this. Also I am wanting shift + hot cues to activate hotcuse 5 - 8 not the sample buttons, or delete the previous hotcues.

Tech Guru

Have you looked in the Kontrol S2 settings tab yet for your hotcue options?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Tech Wizard

This is probably a stupid question but i looked for hotcue options and dont see any. Where would that be? I don't see any hotcue settings on traktor under my kontrol s2 settings.

Tech Guru

Sorry, the S2 has sample on/off buttons in the middle.

Tech Wizard

the skipping sound is your system running out of resources (or re-assigning the USB resources to other tasks). You can also try disabling things you are not using. widgets, anti-virus, wi-fi and other background programs.

I know this is not the answer you want, but if you pick up an F1.
    you then can access all 8 hotcues and you gain effects 3 & 4. (or you can use it to control decks 3&4 instead)

As far as re-mapping the additional hotcues without buying an F1..
    With the S4, you can assign hotcues 5-8 to the sample buttons with a quick pull-down change on the fly. unfortunately The S2 is missing those sample buttons.. you should be able to manually remap the existing hotcue buttons.

Have you tried using the NI controller editor software? you can change the functions of most of the controller in there. try reassigning the shift + hotcue button mode to hotcues 5-8 and the hotcue erase to something else. (modifier state)
    Last edited by johnm; 02-04-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Lightbulb Stutter Solution

"My second question is about the occasional like studder, or skipping on traktor."

I had the same problem at first and what I noticed was:

1) Instead of running off of just USB, make sure you are running off of the Power Source.
    I found that plugging in, instead of USB only, all but eliminated the skipping.
    2) Just because you are hearing skipping in your monitor / headphones, it's not always in the recording.
    I would hear a stutter and think the recording was ruined, until playback showed the recording didn't even pick up the stutters.
    Last edited by DJ Soulshaker; 02-06-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo

Tech Wizard

Sorry for the slow reply guys, first thanks for the info. First reply no I have not tried to use the control editor yet. It felt like trying to read a foreign language I have watched videos on mapping..etc. And for whatever reason I just have trouble pickingit up. As far as the skipping occasional studder, yes I always plug the controller in plus the usb. I honestly am not 100% sure now come to think of it if its just in my headphones i hear the studder or my monitors. I am going to have to check that tomorrow. Now as far as running the f1 with my kontrol s2 I honestly have not thought about it. I dont kno if my laptop can handle it. If it isnt handling my controller and traktor would it be able to handle a f1 at the same time as well?