Scarlett 2i2/Audio 2 Debate - Mixtrack/Pro
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Scarlett 2i2/Audio 2 Debate - Mixtrack/Pro

Call me stupid, and start a flame war, but I never seem to find a need to use "headphone cue", in my sets... I beatmatch, but like my tempos are all over the place, so most the time I am either filtering out a break down, to bring in another, or hard slamming drops....

Even when I beatmatch two tempos, (I.E. 140/140, or like 125/128) I have cue markers, and I can judge pretty well, when I need to mix in/out.... (4 counts per bar...), so I just tap my finger on the side of my controller, and that helps me figure out, when I need to mix in/out....

As everyone knows, the Scarlett 2i2, is a 2 in/out, but it shares the same output, across... The Audio 2, has a dedicated "cue" feature, due to the signal being split.... I could however split the 1/4" out the back of my Scarlett, into 2x Mono outs, and have headphone cue like that, but if I can do stereo, I will....

I currently use an MPK Mini to DJ, so my next investment might as well be an Audio 2, cause even if I would get a Mixtrack Pro, the onboard would probably, be worse, than even my 2i2... For the same price as the Mix Track Pro almost (more or less (regular) Mixtrack), I could get a Audio 2, and just keep using my MPK Mini, until I can save for an S2, cause what I have works for me, at the end of the day... I do wish I had more knobs, cause some things I have to mouse click, due to only having 8 knobs, but it works out okay I guess...
    Last edited by SMOR3S; 02-06-2013 at 06:14 PM.

ok
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

The audio 2 is better suited to djing.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by SMOR3S View Post
    I currently use an MPK Mini to DJ, so my next investment might as well be an Audio 2, cause even if I would get a Mixtrack Pro, the onboard would probably, be worse, than even my 2i2... For the same price as the Mix Track Pro almost (more or less (regular) Mixtrack), I could get a Audio 2, and just keep using my MPK Mini, until I can save for an S2, cause what I have works for me, at the end of the day... I do wish I had more knobs, cause some things I have to mouse click, due to only having 8 knobs, but it works out okay I guess...
    The Scarlett seems more suited to home studio use than DJing... for the same price as the Scarlett (and less than the Mixtrack Pro, although slightly more than the Audio 2) you could get a Reloop Contour IE, which is a VERY nice audio interface AND a fully fledged controller (and a rather incredible one at that).

EDIT: One of my favorite Reloop Contour vids, 'tis a good example of what can be achieved with them:
    Last edited by mdcdesign; 02-03-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    The Scarlett seems more suited to home studio use than DJing... for the same price as the Scarlett (and less than the Mixtrack Pro, although slightly more than the Audio 2) you could get a Reloop Contour IE, which is a VERY nice audio interface AND a fully fledged controller (and a rather incredible one at that).
    The Reloop, seems pretty cool, does each (one) by it self control up to 4 decks, or would I need to buy 4?... I do use an MPK Mini for DJing, and it has served me pretty well, over the past few months, so I don't really see a reason to switch out, unless I was putting like $300+ on to something, that I know I'll use long term... I am a little skeptical on the reliability of the Scarlett, when playing live, cause I actually recently got this, about a month back, and haven't had the chance to take it to a show yet...

I'll look more into that Reloop thing, it does seem pretty interesting... I have about... (maybe), $200... That's my guesstimate budget at the moment...

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful :3

well if you are on a budget... get a plain usb sound card there like $25-$30 then depending if you use a mac or pc. if your using a mac aggregate your sound cards and you can set what out puts go where example: sound comes out of headphone jack of computer and cue comes out of usb sound card. if your using a pc then you have to use asio4all drivers and route your sound with that. or else maybe consider a hercules controller with built in I/O they go for less than $200

I was looking at the Hercules controllers earlier today.. How do they stand vs. Mixtracks?

Also, I have heard about this "Appregrate" once before... Is this possible with my Scarlett 2i2?

Thanks! :3

The Reloop, seems pretty cool, does each (one) by it self control up to 4 decks, or would I need to buy 4?... I do use an MPK Mini for DJing, and it has served me pretty well, over the past few months, so I don't really see a reason to switch out, unless I was putting like $300+ on to something, that I know I'll use long term... I am a little skeptical on the reliability of the Scarlett, when playing live, cause I actually recently got this, about a month back, and haven't had the chance to take it to a show yet...

I'll look more into that Reloop thing, it does seem pretty interesting... I have about... (maybe), $200... That's my guesstimate budget at the moment...

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful :3
    Each Relooop can theoretically control 4 decks using the a, b, c, d buttons at the top. The button change which MIDI channel all of the codes are sent on, from CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4 etc. I use a pair of them simply because I prefer simultaneous control over decks A and B, but if you're the sort of DJ who usually works on one deck at a time, it's probably unnecessary, so you can save yourself a bit of money

It comes in two variants, the Interface Edition and the Controller Edition; the CE lacks the sound card, but is about £40 cheaper as a result. The last time I looked, the Interface Edition was £120ish, which is pretty good considering its capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Each Relooop can theoretically control 4 decks using the a, b, c, d buttons at the top. The button change which MIDI channel all of the codes are sent on, from CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4 etc. I use a pair of them simply because I prefer simultaneous control over decks A and B, but if you're the sort of DJ who usually works on one deck at a time, it's probably unnecessary, so you can save yourself a bit of money

It comes in two variants, the Interface Edition and the Controller Edition; the CE lacks the sound card, but is about £40 cheaper as a result. The last time I looked, the Interface Edition was £120ish, which is pretty good considering its capabilities
    Okay cool, this gives me a bit more options to work with I think....

To further explain my setup, and how I operate behind the decks... (in short, simpler terms)... I am a minimalist...

I prefer not to beat-match, unless I have to, and sometimes I'll use 1 deck at a time, but I also include cue points for mixing in/out during my mix, but generally the tracks I am doing this with, are same tempo already, I.E. (128/128 or 175/175 etc..)

With my current setup (Akai MPK Mini/Scarlett 2i2), I don't need to worry about "headphone cueing", but I still use headphones, so I can personally listen to the track, to know when I need to hit play on the other deck, and to start mixing in the other track...

Tis why I was going to possibly just get a Mixtrack Pro, cause at the end of the day, that would work for me exceptionally well + I would still have my MPK Mini, to use as a sampling controller, (and or), for effects... The flip side, my Scarlett 2i2 would still have better output for audio... But since I don't really, (actually), need headphone cueing, I could just use my Scarlett 2i2 aye?

Thanks again guys :3

I was looking at the Hercules controllers earlier today.. How do they stand vs. Mixtracks?

Also, I have heard about this "Appregrate" once before... Is this possible with my Scarlett 2i2?

Thanks! :3
    Well i'm not sure how it compares to the mixtrack i havn't used one. I originally bought the hercules controller because its small and can fit in my back pack. it's cheaper than a audio 4 and has midi controls and jog wheels. so for less than $200 i got a sound card with jog wheels eq and fader thats why i got one. For crate diggin and smaller house parties i rock a hercules controller and a x1 gives me all the controls i need with audio interface.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast