Problems syncing Traktor and Ableton -> Traktor Audio 10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Problems syncing Traktor and Ableton -> Traktor Audio 10

Hi,

I tried now a whole day to get rid of my actual problem syncing Traktor (2.6) and Ableton (latest). The problem is on a Macbook Pro Retina and on a actual iMac..

I have setup everything with Jack-Pilot, tried later also Soundflower, but the same..

4 Channels are routed from Traktor through Ableton and that works fine. But if I want want to sync both, it is not possible, as the offset drifts. That means the metronome of both are matched I start with -35 ms delay in Ableton. Ok, fine so far.
    But after a minute the metronomes are not in sync anymore, I have to readjust the delay. After around 10 minutes the delay is at +100 ms an still drifting. If I match the metronomes manually, the same is happening, it seems, Ableton is running at another speed.

Next I ran both on the Audio 10 on the same channel, metronomes are in sync, no problem. Made the routing again and selected the internal audio device of the Macbook/iMac, after 30 minutes still in sync.

If I add the the Audio 10, the signal starts drifting again..

Buffer in Traktor is set to 512 and in Ableton the same. If I would change the buffer in Ableton to 64 samples it seems the problem is gone (at least I tested it only for 10 Minutes), but the I have glitches, drop outs and so on, if I run some tracks and using effects..

iMac is two weeks old and the Macbook was freshly installed (not from a backup) also 2 weeks ago, because of graphic-problems (got a new logic board a week ago).

Something I do not understand: how can a signal drift? I would understand if the BPM is different, but they are both at 126, if I match it manually, so the must be in sync.. That is really confusing, so maybe someone can explain that?

Many thanks in advance!

brasax

Ableton is a bit of a pain if you use it a slave. Do it the way round. Using Ableton to send the Midi clock to Traktor seems to solve most problems.

From Traktor to Maschine... no Problem, From Traktor to Traktor either.

To route your MIDI clock, you can use "real" MIDI cable, that work usually great. On PC I already used those virtual MIDI-Yoke and/or LoopBe and they were decent. Lately I've tried Copperlan and I must say it's really rock solid. You can use it internal on your machine AND/OR via Ethernet. PLUS it's totally free. How 'bout that?!?

Give it a shot, more info over there
    http://www.copperlan.org/index.php/qaa/qaa-midi
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Wizard

Thanks for your reply.

Are you using it on only one machine? Or two?

I've checked the website, but is not really clear to me at the moment..

How is your setup looking like then?

Edit:

Tried it, but no success. Each way is not working. I think the problem is the audio interface..
    Last edited by brasax; 02-03-2013 at 06:43 PM.

You need to run the application on each machine you want to connect together. however once your setup is done, you don't need to run the application each time, it runs in background as a driver.

One one computer you have Ableton/Maschine, on another Traktor you can even have another computer with only MIDI controller attached to it if you you like to. Each computer es connected to your hub/switch.. pretty much it.

Yeah their website doesn't say mch, but download the app and check the PDF. It looks complicated when you first open it but once you get it, it couldn't be more simple.

Tech Wizard

I tried it, but also not working. I'm doing this on only one machine..

Quote Originally Posted by DJKeyWee View Post
    Ableton is a bit of a pain if you use it a slave. Do it the way round. Using Ableton to send the Midi clock to Traktor seems to solve most problems.

From Traktor to Maschine... no Problem, From Traktor to Traktor either.

To route your MIDI clock, you can use "real" MIDI cable, that work usually great. On PC I already used those virtual MIDI-Yoke and/or LoopBe and they were decent. Lately I've tried Copperlan and I must say it's really rock solid. You can use it internal on your machine AND/OR via Ethernet. PLUS it's totally free. How 'bout that?!?

Give it a shot, more info over there
    http://www.copperlan.org/index.php/qaa/qaa-midi
    i'm also really interested to hear what success you had with copperlan on PC, how would you say it is more rock solid than using virtual drivers/din cable? are you getting drift? do you need to resynch often? I have been under the impression that windows os is the main reason for bad results rather than the midi clock connection itself...

moved.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I'm not getting any drift with Copperlan, or really few if I drop/raise the BPM in one shot. No real need to resync as of yet with Copperlan. Less cable, more flexibility and my computer are always on a network for "media" sharing purpose anyways.

'till now, latency is tad better than with regular hardware cable.

Copperlan's interface is also really intuitive vs the other I tried.

If youre using a Mac, just use the Traktor Virtual MIDI I/O to bridge the two, on Windows, manually looping the DIN MIDI slots on the Audio 10 also works. From there, set Traktor to slave to Ableton, Ableton is horrendous at following a clock (it hates being told what to do).

With the Traktor Virtual MIDI, dialing in latency is a lot easier, and there's a lot less of it vs random 3rd party GPL virtual signal patch.

Tech Wizard

I do not think it is the Midi-sync itself, I think it is the Audio 10. As long as the Audio 10 is not selected in Ableton it is running fine.

For my understanding, the latency should be a fixed value, but in my case it is not. I can sync the metronomes again and again, the value is going up. I also tried to manually sync Traktor and Ableton, set both to 126 bpm, the metronomes getting out of sync and this should not happen. It seems that Ableton is running at another speed for any reason if the Audio 10 is selected. With the internal sound card no problem..

It seems Midi sync is not the problem.. If I attach the Audio 10, the problem is coming up. Tested also an Audio 2 DJ and had the same problem.

A friend of mine will give me a RME interface and then I will recheck..

Maybe it is a USB 3.0 Problem? The Macbook and iMac have only USB 3.0.

If I have some time (and the mood) I can also recheck on an older Macbook with USB 2.0 and recheck.

I contacted already the NI support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast