Got to play around with an F1... now do I go S2 or S4?
    Tech Wizard

Default Got to play around with an F1... now do I go S2 or S4?

Have been primarily a DVS user with Serato Scratch Live, 2 Turntables and a Rane 62. Have used a Traktor Kontrol X1 for some midi mapping of effects and video effects, but as of recently, I've wanted to dive into the world of controllers and after playing around with a Kontrol F1, I definitely want to go the Traktor route.

I have not had much Traktor experience, and my main reason for wanting to get into Traktor is the F1, just a whole new way to play music live, was a fun experience playing around with an F1.

I'm debating between going with a Kontrol S2 or S4. As I see it the S2 controls decks A/B and the F1 would control C/D right? What happens if you have an S4 that can control A/B and C/D?

Just want to see some opinions and suggestions on which route to take, I don't think I can go wrong with either but am looking for some guidance jumping into the world of Traktor and the Native Instruments Kontrol series of controllers.

Thanks!

DJ Mattik
    Vestax PDX-3000 MK II -- Vestax PMC-05 Pro IV -- Vestax VFX-1 -- Rane SL3
    -- Novation Launchpad --
    -- Vestax VCI-380 --

S4 no brainer.

EQ C/D w/o mapping

Mic-in is recordable/routable

Traktor Scratch upgrade to run w/ so 1200's
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

Tech Wizard

The biggest thing that interests me in being able to use something compact and with my existing X1 and an additional F1. Obviously they would all work together with an S2 or S4, I'm just not sure how the work flow would go. I've played around on a demo S4 at Guitar Center, and loved the jog wheel's. I do scratch a good bit, and found the jog wheels were pretty darn good versus a lot of other controllers I've played around with. With an S2, would I be able to scratch the Remix decks? I guess I am just confused on the workflow of Traktor and it's deck routing options. I've looked through several threads and videos and haven't been able to come up with a complete understanding of the work flow.

As far as Turntables go... I just feel as if I'm going to have my turntables out... I'll have my 62 out with them.
    -- Novation Launchpad --
    -- Vestax VCI-380 --

Tech Wizard

I would say go with the S4 myself.
    The expandability for you to use the DVS with the S4 alone sounds like a feature that you would use. Also, I think the S4 just feels more "complete". My buddy gave me an Xponate that I use on occasion, While it is still a very capable controller once mapped to traktor, I still find myself missing many of the S4 features.

[On the other side of the coin, I bet the S2 would be nice to toss in your backpack and take around with you if that is your plan. that's about the only thing I use the Xponate for. going to my buddies for a few drinks and try out new things.]

Adding the X1 and F1 to the S4 is still a good workflow. I find adding the F1 for controlling the DVS decks is a nice feature.

In the end, it all really depends on your personal style. Also, chances are, your style will most likely evolve once you have these tools in front of you. I know I did. I find that I am evolving daily with the tools i have at my fingertips.

It would make more sense to go 100% with one system. Serato or Traktor.
    Using the S4 as DVS is pretty good. but, the rane is a better mixer then the S4 as a mixer for DVS.
    Plus playing straight vinyl though the S4 without DVS is actually not that great. you have to turn the gain all the way to max and it is still a lower level then the S4's digital decks.

I had the same problem you do. I was running DVS though a DJM800 with a Rane DVS interface when i got the S4. I honestly thought i was going to give up DVS 100% for the controller. Growing up as a vinyl DJ and then later DVS, I found myself missing the vinyl feel and comfort of it to my mixing. after about 9 months of only the S4 and Tracktor, I had to add the DVS to my S4.
    I really did not like having both Serato and Traktor systems. I ended up selling my rane Interface and getting an A10 (instead of the DVS upgrade for traktor) to use my older mixer/turntable setup. I tend to find that i use the S4 for home use while running the DVS running through the S4. When I hit the road, i either take just the S4 for a controller only set. or, i take my old flight with the DVS setup. On a rare occasion, ill take out the S4 with 1200's for DVS (or the CDJ's). I also have the Xponate with custom traktor maping for just messing around with outside of the home/studio/club setting.

I think my next move is to dump the DJM800 and get a DJM900nexus and upgrading my CDJ2000's to nexus models.
    I am not saying this is the corrcet answer. but, it was what i ended up going though.

just received an email from NI, the S4 is on sale....

Something new is comming !
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

Tech Wizard

I went with an S4 this morning. I saw that E-Mail come through too, but I echo the sentiments exactly that johnm was saying, going with the S4 gives me the best options whether it be controller only or DVS.

I'm not too worried with using both software suites at the moment, my nearly 7 year old MacBook Pro will keep running Scratch Live and Video, whereas my new MacBook Air will be my Traktor laptop.

I realize there may be something new, there always is... but at the price I got the S4 at... I won't be complaining haha. Should be in by the end of the week with my F1. Thanks for the input though! Helped make my decision much easier!
    -- Novation Launchpad --
    -- Vestax VCI-380 --

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama View Post
    just received an email from NI, the S4 is on sale....

Something new is comming !
    I thought the same thing. Especially since there was that survey last fall about what would you change on the S4 if you could.

It is also possible that this is to be more competitive with all of the new controllers hitting the street. Especially since a lot of them are Serato products. They need to hook the lemmings.. err people with Traktor to sell the hardware.
    I think the Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX is giving the S4 a run for the money. It looks like a strong product at the moment.

Also, Denon dropped the price on the MC6000 recently. I feel that it is a very respectable option to the S4. I like that it can be used as a standalone mixer without a PC (nice if your laptop crashes) and it now has DVS support in traktor. It is also cheaper then the S4. It's biggest problem is the workspace is really cramped.

To my knowledge, NI was not showing anything new at NAMM 2013 other then IPAD apps. So either the next big thing was not ready or it is top secret.

We all know the S4 will be replaced one day. it is getting a bit old for a product in an area where technology changes daily