afraid to DJ because of dj equipment and computer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default afraid to DJ because of dj equipment and computer

Hi

Last times I DJ in a club, I've had trouble with my computer, but I've always been lucky, so I've had time to put on Pionner CDJ deck when my computer starts freaking out. Now those senate times have I been very afraid it will happen again. What should I do to avoid this?

Do you guys have a lot of problems when you DJ in the club?

This what happens:
    My S4 kontroler deck 2 stops working. I can not just pull out the usb cord to restart, because the music will stop then.

I've been through the sound started to sound strange, and then I ended up usb ports stopped working. Then I had to restart the computer.

I have a macbook pro i7 (2010) with SSD and a external HHD with music and a S4 control. Traktor 2.6.

/Wenen

Tech Guru

First, how does the system behave after the restart? Have you ever had to restart more than one time during a gig? If not, the just do a preventative restart BEFORE you start to play.

Are you using a USB2 or USB3 port for the S4? In general, many sound cards are having issues with USB3. In theory, it should be OK...in reality...using USB2 is just safer. You can put the external hard drive on a USB3 port just to be safe.

Remove any USB hubs that you are using and plug the S4 directly into the USB port on the laptop. Hubs can cause issues...and until you resolve this, avoid using a hub on the laptop at all.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

i have been very fortunate with my macbook pro (2012 - 13 inch) and no issues at all

the only scary thing that ever happened was the traktor timecode cd failed to calibrate (god knows why it happened - it was a random occurrence and i had no idea how it happened - i use timecode ALL THE TiME so its not something new, i can do it normally with one eyes closed but this time it just wont calibrate)

i panicked and luckily i have the X1, so i used the X1 and traktor without any timecode control which luckily, worked fine
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    First, how does the system behave after the restart? Have you ever had to restart more than one time during a gig? If not, the just do a preventative restart BEFORE you start to play.

Are you using a USB2 or USB3 port for the S4? In general, many sound cards are having issues with USB3. In theory, it should be OK...in reality...using USB2 is just safer. You can put the external hard drive on a USB3 port just to be safe.

Remove any USB hubs that you are using and plug the S4 directly into the USB port on the laptop. Hubs can cause issues...and until you resolve this, avoid using a hub on the laptop at all.
    I don't have USB3.0

Do not you guys think computer takes a much damage from the bass vibrates the computer? I think maybe thats my problem, my computer is from 2010

Tech Guru

The HDD could be damaged from vibrations, but I really doubt it. SSDs shouldn't be affected by movement.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Wenen View Post
    I don't have USB3.0

Do not you guys think computer takes a much damage from the bass vibrates the computer? I think maybe thats my problem, my computer is from 2010
    You only answered one of the three specific questions I posed. Before this goes off onto another direction...answer the other two questions.

How does the laptop behave AFTER you restart it?
    Are you using a USB hub (on any USB port)?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    You only answered one of the three specific questions I posed. Before this goes off onto another direction...answer the other two questions.

How does the laptop behave AFTER you restart it?
    Are you using a USB hub (on any USB port)?
    After restar my computer every thing worked again.

Maybe I did use a usb hub. But I did't have my S4 connected to the usb hub.

Can it be the USB hub?

Tech Guru

Can it be the USB hub?
    It could be the USB hub...I am unclear on the bus structure on a Mac....but it could be that more than one of the USB ports on the laptop share the same bus - and if the hub is anywhere on that bus it could cause issues.

However, it is also likely that some program that you are running in the background is attempting to gain control of either the audio bus or some other system resource. Restarting the laptop will stop any running programs. After the restart, you likely only started Traktor and some other minimal set of programs.

As a test, you can restart BEFORE you DJ. Practice at home a few times before your next gig. Restart the laptop, then DJ a 4 hour set. See if there are any issues or problems.

Why do you use external hdd if ssd (internal) runs smoother and faster?
    NI Traktor Kontrol S4 - Sennheiser HD 25 - MF SPECTRA

Can it be the USB hub?
    Ya it might be the USB hub... If you are pulling more than it can handle, you are going to have issues... Plugging your equipment in dedicated ports vs. a hub is better overall :3

I remember when I tried to DJ on a 12 year old dell with USB 1.0... the laptop had 1 port, and I was pulling from 4 USB devices... ya, that didn't work to well :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast