DJ School...Over-Rated...?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default DJ School...Over-Rated...?

I'm in India at the moment, doing an intense 1 month DJ Course. I'm learning all the basics; Beat matching, cue-ing, pitch bending etc.. But I want to enhance my skills, to be better than I am.

Is it mandatory for me to go to a DJ School? Say, Dubspot (New York), to do an advanced DJ Course? Or can I get better and better by just practicing and watching vids on youtube, or watching guides on the net.

Price is no an issue, just tell me whats best. I really want to get better.

Banned

Practice, man. You're spending too much time asking general questions about DJing as opposed to specifics. No one is going to give you the skill to beatmatch. This takes time, and if you have time to go to India, of all places, to learn, I'm sure you have mucho time to practice. I read and commented on your CDJ post and honestly, you don't need anything fancy to learn. Even 400s would work. Don't be that guy that says, "what?! no waveforms?!" Hone your craft and it will pay you back ten fold.

You have to put in the time. Lots, and lots, of time.

Lessons are great, and it's great to have someone to ask questions of. But at the end of the day, there's only so much theory that you can fill your mind with.

Lessons are expensive, put practical experience is priceless. If you can afford the Dubspot courses, I say do it - but make sure you take PLENTY of notes, and then practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by bassgoesmeow View Post
    Practice, man. You're spending too much time asking general questions about DJing as opposed to specifics. No one is going to give you the skill to beatmatch. This takes time, and if you have time to go to India, of all places, to learn, I'm sure you have mucho time to practice. I read and commented on your CDJ post and honestly, you don't need anything fancy to learn. Even 400s would work. Don't be that guy that says, "what?! no waveforms?!" Hone your craft and it will pay you back ten fold.
    Thank you bass, that really helps!

I'm just really ..idk the word...but kinda scared and nervous? "what if I mess up?" kinda questions.

Anyways I'm gona practice. Thanks for the info.

Others pls comment need more feedback.

Banned

You need to make mistakes to learn from them. Remember that.

don't be this guy:

Honestly... the information's out there on the web - taking a class is just paying a convenience fee for having it fed to you. I'm completely self-taught; it takes a while but it's not that bad.

Dude its much cheaper to hang out with some local djs. Get to know one or two and ask if you can practice with them. You'll learn fast and possibly get gigs opening/network at the same time.

overrated to the max, shotty pretty much nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by ParthVader View Post
    Price is no an issue, just tell me whats best. I really want to get better.
    If you can afford it, there are some pretty fantastic teachers at Dubspot. You might be interested in private lessons, which are possible to get, as opposed to classes - or a combination of the two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast