When do you know its the right time to start looking for giggs?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When do you know its the right time to start looking for giggs?

So i've been practicing my mixing techniques quite a bit. On & Off for over a year and I was thinking about going to some hookah bars and playing for free just to get comfortable with the live experience. But how do I know if i'm ready? I don't want to make a fool out of myself.

Tech Wizard

You will know when you are ready AFTER you have made a fool of yourself a few times and gotten over it.

X

Put a demo together and go for it. You won't know if you suck till you try eh make sure you can play for 6 hours if necessary.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

lol sounds good, now it's time to phone some of the local hookah bars to try and book a gigg.

I'm not sure if a hookah bar is the correct spot for some psychedelic trance but i'll try it out anyways.

mate, leave the psy for the last hour or so, the folks will dig it (thats what we do). the main thing when you step out of the bedroom is you gotta learn to gauge the vibe of the place, what peeps are into etc. all comes with some experience.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Maybe some house music then to start it off?

Tech Mentor

Take it one step at a time, my first "gigs" were switching cds out of the stereo at house parties. You might go at a quicker pace than I, but the idea is to make playing music in front of people so natural that you don't bat an eye at it. Start small, and let your gigs grow with your abilities.
    That being said, my best bit of technical advice for getting through the turbulence of your first few gigs is to have as wide a variety of music as you can afford. I have been gigging out for years, and every night I still come home with a list of songs that I feel stupid for not having already!
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

I have hundreds of songs. That's not the problem, I literally dig through my music collection and it never ends. It's like a puzzle I spend hours trying to find songs that fit well with each other for smooth solid transitions.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by hola amigos View Post
    I have hundreds of songs. That's not the problem, I literally dig through my music collection and it never ends. It's like a puzzle I spend hours trying to find songs that fit well with each other for smooth solid transitions.
    You have no idea buddy! There's nothing worse than building an awesome set, and playing it for a crowd, and having them just tune out totally stone faced! Two posts back you were questioning what genre of music to play, but you think you can confidently build a set that will please the crowd simply based off of your "solid transitions"? At this point in your career, there's no such thing as being overly prepared, it can't hurt to keep your music selection flexible.
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Culture_Shock View Post
    You have no idea buddy! There's nothing worse than building an awesome set, and playing it for a crowd, and having them just tune out totally stone faced! Two posts back you were questioning what genre of music to play, but you think you can confidently build a set that will please the crowd simply based off of your "solid transitions"? At this point in your career, there's no such thing as being overly prepared, it can't hurt to keep your music selection flexible.

It's blunt, but I've got to agree. The best way to look at it is that you're not any better at DJing than the crowd thinks you are. They don't care about your smooth transitions. They don't know what transitions are. All they care about is what the sound coming out of the speakers is at the uneven intervals of their conversation going silent. The most important thing for a gig like this is the music you're playing. Unfortunately, the way you're playing it almost doesn't matter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast