Are you a WAV or MP3 DJ?

View Poll Results: Which do you normally play?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • MP3 (Lossy files)

35 79.55%
  • WAV (Lossless files)

9 20.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are you a WAV or MP3 DJ?

I am just curious. Would be nice to get a decent sized sample for this poll. I'd also be interested in your opinions of the quality of the sound systems in the venues you play.

My vote wins.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

mp3 and all DJ's in my country are all MP3 now too. not one venur or bar/club in my country has any high end soundsystem. and lagrer events have sound systems ment for live bands. So the benafits one might get from wav are just not noticed anyway.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

What are the benefits of having wave files actually? I know they're the truest source but is there really anyone here who can hear the difference between a wav and a v0 mp3? Even on a Funktion One set?
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Thing is i play a mixture... I buy all my stuff on aiff now from beatport but some of my older stuff is 320 mp3 and some is from iTunes.

Should have had that option in the poll, know what I mean?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    My vote wins.
    Our...
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

I use MP3s. WAV files takes up too much space and I take all my music with me since I do mobile gigs. I never know what I will get a request for.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Audeo View Post
    What are the benefits of having wave files actually? I know they're the truest source but is there really anyone here who can hear the difference between a wav and a v0 mp3? Even on a Funktion One set?
    I can hear the difference in my car and on my monitors let alone a larger system.

More highs and lows with WAV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg5OH View Post
    Kinda sounds like a big hiss then boom boom wacka wacka boom

Tech Guru

A larger, louder sound system does NOT mean a higher fidelity sound system. In almost every case....large systems in large rooms provide a sub-par listening experience. Most clubs were not designed with acoustics in mind. Most clubs have a noise floor that is on par with a car on the highway - 80dB is not uncommon for an empty club (with air handlers, bar equipment, buzzing from lights, etc).

If you really want to hear the nuances in music, sit in a really quiet room, and listen at low to moderate levels with headphones of reasonable quality. Headphones completely remove room modes from the listening experience....and that is critical unless you have acoustically treated the space.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

i voted lossless though my collection is a mixture of both. all the stuff i buy is either AIFF or WAV but my older stuff and some tracks given away by producers are 320kbps MP3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast