Landed my first Gig!! Possible issues... tips?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Landed my first Gig!! Possible issues... tips?

What's up Tech Tools family?!

I am so happy to say I've landed my first PAID Dj'ing gig for next weekend. It's an after party at a new bar for a girl's roller derby team.

The stipulations were $100 plus free beer, and if all goes well they're going to pick me up as their "resident" DJ!

Crazy right?

I got the gig from going in to the bar (it was EMPTY as they've only been open a week or so) and chatting with the bartender and getting a feel for what their music situation was. I noticed they had a huge PA system but someone had an iPod plugged in only... chatted it up with them and found out the following:

Turns out they hired a "DJ" to come in and play an indie night a week or so ago, but the dude had no car, said he only wanted to play for beer, brought 1 friend, and played super loud dubstep the entire night ignoring the staff and ended up taking off his shirt and swinging it around etc etc.

So that's what I'm up against! Haha

The people I'm playing the party for are giving me a playlist of stuff they want to hear- plus I have around 300 songs of old school hip hop, indie dance, 80s, 90s, a handful of mashups, anthems, plus my PERSONAL music (hundreds more songs) selection which is way less traditional (psybreaks, psystep, down-tempo, nu-disco, etc.).

The only problem's I foresee are that

1) I'm getting an S2 in the mail on Tuesday- and the gig is Saturday! Till then I've been working on this ghetto-rig here:

2) Them getting their playlist to me in time (prob on a USB stick or something)....

So I was hoping to get some advice from you all- they want me to play from 7pm-2am- a super long set for my first time out I know, but I've got the tunes, and definitely feel confident that I can give them what they want (and probably a little bit more!)

Any tips appreciated!

PS: I'm already working on beat-gridding my indie playlist I've got set-up, and have everything analyzed with Mixed in Key for some creative mixing if I get ballsy ;]

$100 + beer is not bad for a first gig. Sounds like you'll have a pretty easy ride if they're gonna give you a playlist...

If I was you, I'd stick with your usual rig. BIG mistake taking a new piece of kit to a gig. ESPECIALLY your first gig.

Play it safe gear wise. Maybe get a little freaky with your mixing after a few drinks...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If I was you, I'd stick with your usual rig. BIG mistake taking a new piece of kit to a gig. ESPECIALLY your first gig.

Play it safe gear wise. Maybe get a little freaky with your mixing after a few drinks...
    Man... I hear you there loud and clear- Butttttttt I'd feel so much more professional using the S2 instead of this jerry rigged mess... Maybe I'll just see how comfortable I am day-of, and bring both set-ups.

Also, I've got "We are the champion" to play in the case that they win their match- any other tips on "Victory" type songs? Triumph by Wu Tang? haha Thanks for the reply!

Dude, just rock the S2. No offense, but I watched your video and you aren't kidding! That is quite a work around you have there. A lot less can go wrong with the S2. A few days is plenty of time to learn how to use the S2 for the functions you are currently using in Traktor and as you say, it is more professional. Good luck man - have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB
    and as you say, it is more professional
    "Professional" is getting the job done, not looking pretty.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

$100 + beer is not bad for a first gig. Sounds like you'll have a pretty easy ride if they're gonna give you a playlist...
    Tip #1: Gig first....beer later. Seriously. Stone cold sober until AFTER you are done. Then hang out and have a beer to celebrate. If that means no beer on the first gig...that's still OK.

KISS. I would take the S2, but only really use it as a sound card. Plug in your headphones and use that to monitor.

Being in front of the audience is not the time to experiment and practice. The S2 is pretty easy to understand, but it is also pretty easy to get in over your head on your first trip out. I like to have 20-ish hours of practice on ANY new kit before I use it at a gig. That helps me to make sure that it is stable, reliable, and to learn about some of the quirks. (I am not talking about a patch cable here...but really anything major...a new software update, new sound card, new mixer, new controller, etc.)

Show up early. There is nothing like 30 minutes of having nothing to do because you are setup and ready to roll. Being even 1 minute late is just stress you do NOT need on your first event....I don't need that stress at my events, and my first time was almost 20 years ago!

Have some backup music to play in case something goes wrong. An iPhone with a playlist is fine...provided you put it in airplane mode...no taking calls or texts or app updates while it's playing music. A mix CD is also good.

Finally....YOU should come up with some tips that you figure out would have been helpful for you during your first event, and post those as a reply to this thread.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Tip #1: Gig first....beer later. Seriously. Stone cold sober until AFTER you are done. Then hang out and have a beer to celebrate. If that means no beer on the first gig...that's still OK.

KISS. I would take the S2, but only really use it as a sound card. Plug in your headphones and use that to monitor.

Being in front of the audience is not the time to experiment and practice. The S2 is pretty easy to understand, but it is also pretty easy to get in over your head on your first trip out. I like to have 20-ish hours of practice on ANY new kit before I use it at a gig. That helps me to make sure that it is stable, reliable, and to learn about some of the quirks. (I am not talking about a patch cable here...but really anything major...a new software update, new sound card, new mixer, new controller, etc.)

Show up early. There is nothing like 30 minutes of having nothing to do because you are setup and ready to roll. Being even 1 minute late is just stress you do NOT need on your first event....I don't need that stress at my events, and my first time was almost 20 years ago!

Have some backup music to play in case something goes wrong. An iPhone with a playlist is fine...provided you put it in airplane mode...no taking calls or texts or app updates while it's playing music. A mix CD is also good.

Finally....YOU should come up with some tips that you figure out would have been helpful for you during your first event, and post those as a reply to this thread.

DJ Sober: Definitely. No issues there but always good to keep in mind

S2: I plan to have WAY over 20 hours of practice on that thing prior to my gig- so all good there ^-^

Punctuality: Plan to get there around 6 so should be good there. Also going to bring some spare cords/connections/etc.

Back-up Music: Awesome advice! Will definitely do that- and pro-tip on the Airplane mode- that would be an utter fail.

I will DEFINITELY be sharing my lessons learned with the Forum. Hopefully this is the start of me being a contributing member in a valuable way!

Ean and the DJTT site/forum has been such a huge help already... it's really incredible.

You should be ok with the S2 by Saturday. Read the online manual front to back until you receive it.
    Used Record Shopper

Kill it!
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

Tech Wizard

Sounds to me like you are ready. Do your best, be professional and remember.... have some fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast