Is it possible to setup a professional DJ rig with an iPad? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    That's why I said WHEN there's a Windows tablet out for £200. And considering how I can run Traktor 2.6 fine on an EeePC 701 (800mhz Celeron), I highly doubt a cheap tablet with a Haswell-Y processor in it is going to struggle lol.

In fact, THIS would work perfectly: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C97-Atom-N...606#vi-content

Just a shame the resolution is so painfully low It's bad enough on a 1280x800 MBP, can't imagine how horrible it'd be at 1024x768...
    I know you CAN run traktor on an EEE .. I did just that a few years ago with a Celeron 900 and Traktor 3.3 worked great, but the current versions of windows chew up so much resource wise before anything else is loaded and I doubt any newer versions of Traktor or anything else "pro" will support lower end CPU's or tablets unless specifically aimed to actually be lower end apps with slimmed down feature sets designed for lower end processors.

Also worked great with OSX running on a Lenovo S10 which was a bloody great backup machine running TraktorPro

I think the idea of having a high powered CPU windows Tablet @ 200 sounds great in theory, but

A) They wont be cheap initially
    B) At that stage when they are cheap it'll already be out of date,
    C) Full size notebooks get a much faster processor bump at the same time and the newest software requires the higher spec to operate with all functions.

Tablets IMHO will for the time being will have apps with a limited feature set - not that thats a bad thing though (now if developers and manufacturers would get rid of every freaking "flange effect!")

Also IMHO developers have cared too little about the overall efficiency of their software, with every other application these days being absolutely MASSIVE - personally I like the small is beautiful motto, rather than large is lovely. I hope that will change with the sheer amount of apps that NEED to be cross machine/processor platforms into the future.

Tired - bed - out
    Last edited by deevey; 02-10-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I know you CAN run traktor on an EEE .. I did just that a few years ago with a Celeron 900 and Traktor 3.3 worked great, but the current versions of windows chew up so much resource wise before anything else is loaded and I doubt any newer versions of Traktor or anything else "pro" will support lower end CPU's or tablets unless specifically aimed to actually be lower end apps with slimmed down feature sets designed for lower end processors.
    Not if you tweak them properly; there's plenty of services and components which can be removed, and not only that, but Traktor itself is nowhere NEAR as resource-intensive as people would have you believe. The only thing which even makes a DENT on the CPU is keylock, and poorly-written ASIO drivers, which is really down to hardware manufacturers and not NI/MS.

One of my hobbies has always been getting OSes running on hardware configurations well outside the "required" spec, and you'd be surprised what you can do with a few hours' work. I'm CONVINCED that the next big thing to come out of China will be ridiculously cheap Atom-based Ubuntu tablets; at which point, I'll be installing Windows 8 and Traktor, and then tossing my MBP in the bin

EDIT: If I have the time/effort, I'll probably put together a Traktor-specific Windows 8 Embedded image designed purely for DJing, that way I can optimize for latency and provide hardware support for most controllers out-of-the-box.

Tech Convert

I use my iPad with DJ Player midi mapped to my mixtrack pro. It has everything you would need to mix, but it is missing a way to record the master out (but this can be worked around if you have a spare iPhone/iPod touch). It is relatively easy to midi map, with any class-compliant device. I actually like this software better than CrossDJ which I bought a few months back for 50$.

I wish however that it could be navigated through entirely via controller, but it requires at least some touchscreen manipulation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12