CDJ + Traktor tech question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default CDJ + Traktor tech question

Hey guys,

I've finally made it out of the bedroom and into the clubs and have seen some recent success lately. I've been offered in the span of a week, gigs at some venues I've only dreamed of playing, and opening for some producers
    I've long been a fan of. I'm super stoked about it, but I'll be playing on some new gear for these events and was looking for some clarification on a few things.

Usually I show up to my gigs S4, X1 etcetc. Basically an entirely digital setup which I've of course grown most comfortable with. As an opener for Downlink this venue has in house DJM900 and CDJ2000's. Normally when playing on a CDJ setup I'm routing those through an audio 8 with either a maschine or x1 for control of traktor. Very rarely am I mixing on CDJs without a laptop.

As far as the 2000's and djm900 goes, I've read that these are traktor friendly and the mixer can be plugged in directly to the laptop via USB. Is this true?

This is certainly one of the biggest gigs at one of the biggest venues I've been offered to play at, and I don't think I want to crowd the stage with my digital setup.

I'm essentially looking for the best/least complicated setup road I can stick with on 2000's as a primarily digital DJ

Thanks!

don't know what laptop you are using and how many usb ports it has. If it has 3 usb ports you could hook upp 2 cdj's and the djm and set up the djm as the soundcard and set it up in traktor and use external mixer. Then on the cdj 2000 just pres link it will tell you to turn the browser knob to choose deck. do the same on the other cdj. this works as plug and play if your on a mac. with windows you will need to install the drivers first.
    You can even bring you x1 for kontrolls over Traktor FX if you like.

It er realy easy and simple to setup on mac anyway I only bring my laptop to the club there is a USB hub installed already so I only connect the laptop fire up Traktor link the players and I'm ready to rock.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Rekordbox USB stick is the least complicated.

With Traktor, you need your laptop and two USB cables (assuming two CDJs). Use them in HID mode and aggregate them to use as soundcards. Simple as that. http://blog.dubspot.com/native-instr...d-controllers/

Tech Convert

Yeah I figured Rekordbox would be the best call, but I've never even laid hands on a 2000 yet so I figured sticking to what I know would be the best move for now. Thanks guys for the help that's awesome. I'm on a mac so hearing that it's plug and play is great news. Thanks!

No problem. Personally, unless I am playing a set where I have to use Rekordbox, I use Traktor with HID. This is because I also play with timecode on turntables and don't like having to set hotcues / grids in both programs.

Tech Convert

Bring a usb stick with you with te latest firmware for the cjd2000. Also update te djm900 firmware.

I'm using a djm900 for a week now and with the new firmware it runs great.
    3x cdj2000 and a F1. Windows i7 laptop is running perfect.
    Normally I use the S4.... what I miss....the 2 rotary knobs and display for looping and beat jumping.

Rekordbox all the way here as well! I usually don't like even setting up USB cables since we have a lot more guys using Serato and they'll have a whole bunch of cables in a clusterf**ck and it usually ends with the music stopping and not smoothly transitioning from DJ to DJ when they switch.....

SB....you going to play on USB for our upcoming event? I know we'll have a DJM800 and 2 x CDJ2000 Nexus decks for Saturday for sure....
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by epikeddie View Post
    SB....you going to play on USB for our upcoming event? I know we'll have a DJM800 and 2 x CDJ2000 Nexus decks for Saturday for sure....
    I was planning on using Traktor HID as I can be more creative but of course I will have a Rekordbox USB as well. Whatever is easiest; both are relatively simple and require no plugging / unplugging of audi cables.

if you guys are on Mac there is always rekord buddy it can convert you whole traktor liberary in to rekordbox liberary with all cuepoint transered too. In preferance you can choose if it should store them as hot cue's or memori points.
    I always just use traktor in hid mode as it works just the same as if I would convert everything to rekordbox.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Ya I gave Rekord Buddy a shot but didn't quite achieve the results I wanted. I use iTunes for playlist management and in Rekordbox, I choose to keep my playlists over keeping my cue points.

Traktor HID is the best compromise for me most of the time given the variety of gear I play on, creativity flexibility, preparation time, and what's needed to bring to gigs. When I eventually purchase new CDJs, I'll consider moving to Rekordbox for playing out because there is no denying the attractiveness of needing just a USB stick and headphones. Might also consider IEMs at that point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast