FINALLY got firmware to work: How to...

Default FINALLY got firmware to work: How to...

Ok i've had my firmware kit for over a week now and only finally today have i got it to work. I tried 4 different computers, mix of usb-serial and straight serial with 4 different cables, windows xp, windows 7 and windows 7 emulating XP. I became so good at opening up the VCI and stripping it down to the point of plugging in the firmware device that i recon i can do it in a minute and a half now

When it finally happened tok about 3 minutes and afterwards it was like, what thats it? cos it was so quick after all the hassle i've had.

So what i've learned is do the following and it should work with no problems:

Use a serial-serial cable! I know a lot of people have got it to work fine with USB to serial converters, but its hit and miss so my biggest tip, use a serial cable and and MAKE SURE you have the correct cable, a Male to Female Straight through 9 pin serial cable, which i have found out is very often marked as a "serial extension cable". it MUST say 1:1 pin connection so you know its straight through and not a Null-Modem cable. Even one i bought off ebay that was labeled as straight though actually didnt work and turned out to be a null modem one and it was the 4th the before i manages to get the correct one.

Next, use a desktop computer with XP and with a serial connection. Go round to your mates, or mom and dads, or wherever you have to go to get one. Haven't tried vista but i know my main windows 7 set up didnt work, even in XP compatibility mode.

Finally, make sure your computer has enough power from the USB to power the VCI while it flashes. Preferably this should be from the same computer as is doing the flashing but if it is older, or if there is already lots of USB devices plugged in, then a lot of people seem to have success having the USB plugged into another computer or laptop next to the one doing the flashing. Cant confirm this myself though as it worked fine for me in the same one.

Spend a little time getting these things together rather than trying to make it work with stuff you already have and you'll save a lot of time in the long run when it works smooth first time, and then just follow Ean's video instructions and it should be nice and smooth and easy.

k

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Thanks for taking the time to document the issues you had!

Tech Convert

Thanks! Will check it when flashing my vci)