Monitors on their sides - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

***if you pan right or left.
    A&H Xone 62, 2 x X1's, A6, Sony MDR V-700's

long as the woofers are at ear height it doesn't matter how you have them.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    But won't that mean left is up, and right is down (or vice versa) changing your stereo field by 90*. If you on right or left, the sound will move up or down.
    Ya when I lay my monitors on their side, the left tweeter is on the bottom, and the right tweeter is on the top...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    But won't that mean left is up, and right is down (or vice versa) changing your stereo field by 90*. If you on right or left, the sound will move up or down.
    thats easy. just turn your 1200's sideways

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    long as the woofers are at ear height it doesn't matter how you have them.
    It's actually the upper frequencies that are far more directional, Jester Dude. If you were going to collapse your soundstage from any distance at all, I'd suggest keeping the tweeters at ear level. Some retail pro studio monitors have the mid/high in rotatable modules allowing you to lay the speaker flat with fewer anomalies. I think even the larger KRK offer this. The great ones have separate crossover settings depending on positioning and proximity to boundaries. If you lay them on their side [in the nearfield] position then on-axis and you'll likely be okay. Honestly, it depends on how good you want it. All of the DJs that I know just want it loud and clear, with accuracy not being a consideration. In their defense, it's just for DJ work, not a concert.

As with ANY audio system, the room is the most critical component when determining speaker selection and positioning.
    Last edited by HigherFi; 02-08-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Tech Mentor

This is a matter of personal preference, really. You're mainly affecting dispersion patterns and imaging. If the total absence of imaging in your car stereo doesn't bother you, this won't either. Go ahead and try it and do what works best for you.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    This is a matter of personal preference, really.
    True. There's no faking give-a-damn.

Tech Mentor

Yeah, this is all getting out of context.
    Any discussion at the level of "audiophile" and "technically speaking" can be routed out once you take into consideration that this is for a djs bedroom production and practice setup. Practically everything else in this kind of scenario goes against audio purism. eq-ing, mixing, effects, jumping around like a douche bag, and cranking your master so you can't hear the downstairs neighbors pounding on their ceiling are all things that make "proper" speaker placement discussion a moot point.

If you have to lay your monitors down, they will be fine, and so will you!
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12