Monitors on their sides
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Monitors on their sides

I see this a lot... I honestly don't think it makes any difference, if they are vertical, or horizontal, but I just wanted to see how many people around here do it... I might give it a try for the hell of it, to see if it makes any difference, but I'm not sold on it though...

wedge monitor....

I like doing that when I mix (or practice dj mixes), and I am standing up, but I mean for just general mixing, and production...

If they're pointed right at you, it won't make a difference. Most monitors are designed to disperse more sound side to side than up and down. by placing them sideways, you make it easier to hear from above or below the speaker, But won't spread into the room as well.

If the monitors are just for you, do whatever sounds best, but if you want them to sound good throughout a room, keep 'em on their feet.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    If they're pointed right at you, it won't make a difference. Most monitors are designed to disperse more sound side to side than up and down. by placing them sideways, you make it easier to hear from above or below the speaker, But won't spread into the room as well.

If the monitors are just for you, do whatever sounds best, but if you want them to sound good throughout a room, keep 'em on their feet.
    Okay :3 I have nearfield monitors, so I don't need them to spread that far... I'll do some experimenting tonight...

The audiophiles will tell you they need to be standing properly upright as they were designed that way (layout of woofer and tweeter(s)). The rest will say sit them the way you like, your the one listening to them. Me, I don't like the look of speakers on their sides.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

they funny thing. the original bookshelf speakers were just that. speakers that could fit on a bookshelf if you turn them sideways..

Put them how you like.. they wont explode..

I have mine laying on their sides so the tweeters are ear level rather than above me since treble is more directional than bass.
    Mapping Enthusiast
    S4 | X1 | F1 | MF3D

Tech Mentor

No, they won't explode, but, a speaker that sounds good standing up will not sound the same on it's side. It has everything to do with the forward lobe, time alignment and directivity. It is a lot of material to discuss on a DJ forum - with all due respect, but I'm here if you want to get into it. As a rule, the worst thing you can do to any given speaker is lay it on it's side if you care about how it sounds, that is. As it has been said, if they are a couple feet from your ears, you aren't likely to hear much. If you expect stereo imaging from any farther back, leave them as designed. It's a lot more science than just popping drivers in box.

But won't that mean left is up, and right is down (or vice versa) changing your stereo field by 90*. If you on right or left, the sound will move up or down.
    A&H Xone 62, 2 x X1's, A6, Sony MDR V-700's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast