2 Monitors vs 1 Large Monitor
    Tech Guru

Default 2 Monitors vs 1 Large Monitor

when producing I use my macbook with a 19" external monitor but now im debating whether I should buy a matching screen or a large screen around 26-30" what does everyone think?

the thunderbolt displays are cool cause you can daisy chain them but are very expensive and if I were to have 2 screens Im pretty sure I would have to run one with a usb adapter which is just another usb port taken..can you daisy chain the older apple cinema displays?
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Quote Originally Posted by Santos10 View Post
    when producing I use my macbook with a 19" external monitor but now im debating whether I should buy a matching screen or a large screen around 26-30" what does everyone think?

the thunderbolt displays are cool cause you can daisy chain them but are very expensive and if I were to have 2 screens Im pretty sure I would have to run one with a usb adapter which is just another usb port taken..can you daisy chain the older apple cinema displays?
    I use a 24" ASUS, and I love it, cause it's 1080p, and I can see Ableton/Traktor really well... I like even using it, when I play live...

I don't think you can daisy chain the Thunderbolt displays, but correct me if I am wrong...

Tech Guru

24" is more than enough.

I run a 24" vertical and a 30" Mac display using HDMI and DVI.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOR3S View Post
    I don't think you can daisy chain the Thunderbolt displays, but correct me if I am wrong...
    Exactly right, you can't. I have MBP and I've tried with numerous different ways and it doesn't work.

I have 2 screens, 20" and they run into a MacPro with 2 separate DVI outputs. The core lies with the graphics card, it needs to be able to support 2 outgoing signals.

Tech Guru

you can daisy chain retinas:

but @ham are you using a usb adapter for the second screen or is there another trick?
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Quote Originally Posted by Santos10 View Post
    but @ham are you using a usb adapter for the second screen or is there another trick?
    No, and the reason it didn't work for me is that I have a 13" 2011 MBP, which has an Intel GPU in it, where as the 15" (what that guy in the video has) and discontinued 17" models have either a Radeon or nVidia GPU in them, which some of them can support 2 video outputs through daisy chaining them. USB is useless for sending out a video signal.