Ideas of making a more creative set
    Tech Wizard

Question Ideas of making a more creative set

Other than scratching (which I'm in the process and early stages of learning) are there any other techniques or little things that can be done to improve / make the set more noticeable and head turnin or is it just mainly beat matching / mixing which can only b done. I'm so out of touch but I'm really keen to soak up what info can b given my way. I've attempted to search in YouTube but Slightly unsure how to word it so not really getting any good tips (Loads on scratching techniques though)
    I'm mainly spinning house/funky house, techno n trance.

All I'm using is 2x TT (str8-150) so could utilise the reverse mode n stop n start up speed option!!!! with an everyday run of the mill mixer.

Thanks. And look forward to hearing your ideas and techniques that you may use

Learn how to beatjuggle. Then you can have two tracks playing, and flip back and forth between the two, making a live remix. It goes along nicely with scratching.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

From Hip Hop Mixing tutorial I wrote on djforums years ago:

=================
    Mixing Techniques

Echos

Like the name suggests it's technique that creates an echo effect to song either on the snare or kick or even a vocal phrase. It is done by repeating a sample of song. I'll let The Ever scratch guide explain:

"Echoes are done by doing forwards on the upfader, and fading out slowly. Take a look at your numbers on the upfader as a guide. Most go from 10 to 0. 10 being the loudest, start at 10, play the sound, cut the sound out, bring the record back, then bring the fader back up to 7, then play the sound, cut the sound out, bring the record back, bring the fader back up to 4, and continue to do that pattern until you completely fade out. You can also start from low and work your way up to full volume. There is a lot to do with echoes, experiment.
    >>>>http://limelinx.com/fq36a

Transform on forward or backward

How to transform?

You're basically doing is snapping the fader on and off to chop up a sound.
    DJ Sigma Scratch Tutorial
    You utilize this technique by transforming on forward movement of song and on the backward movement or any combination that comes to mind. A way I've heard many do Deejay perform this technique is playing the forward movement of the song and transforming on the backward movement only.

Here's an example of The Xmen's Diamond Jay using transforming in mix.
    >>>>http://limelinx.com/1shu

Delay Phrases

I've heard some refer to this as "echoing" or "doubles" ,"doubling", "Tripling" and even "stuttering".You can do this in a number ways. Although I've seen Deejays do this technique more than four times I wouldn't recommend as it disturbs the flow of the mix too much.

You perform this technique by letting the cue track play at half beat to beat behind the live track and then sliding the fader over to cue track after the phrase of live track is played. Instead of "doubling" the sound you can triple the sound by while the cue track is playing you rewind the live track back to start of the phrase.

A variation of this technique would be what some people call "chasing" or "strobing". Where you take phrase and play it a bar later. Either by slinding the fader to other turntable or playing the repeated phrase at the same time as the record but at a slighty lower volume. Beatjugglers use this technique a little differently but it's the same concept.

>>>>http://limelinx.com/ct3a6

Beatswitching

This technique is one many Deejays overlooked but yet it's very simple to do and will add another dimension to your mix. It's where you subsitute (switch) one segment of beat for another from another song.You can perform this technique by using two bars of a beat, just one bar , a snare or just a kick or whatever combination you can think of.

To perform this technique you first beatmatch both records (though you can and should perform this technique on two songs of differing bpms) and switch by moving fader from one song to another song for one or two bars and then switching back to the original song. Or you can scratch each segment back and forth.

The key to making it work is to let the rhythm of song dictate how many bars or part of segment you should let first song play before the beatswitch to second song and vice versa.

Here's an example by Funkmaster Flex in 1995
    >>>>http://limelinx.com/d0yiq

Here's Example of J Rocc Beatswitching with in number of ways.
    >>>>http://limelinx.com/fs9b2

==================

Sooner or later I'll get around to reposting the full tutorial for now that should keep you busy.

Tech Wizard

Smashing mate. Will get on having a crack at the following stuff one my early shift at work is over

Tech Wizard

Thanks,
    dj angelo does some great tutorials. Can I also recommend this crazy fella as well. Been watching all his YouTube posts and even though he is a little bit crazy he offers some great tutorial vids.

Tech Wizard

Trick mixing would be the #1 thing that would help I think.

J-Rocc does a ton of variations here both with 2 different tracks, and the same one. There's tons of ways to flip trick mixing and you can get really deep/complex with it to the point that it's absolutely impossible to re-create it on anything other than turntables doing it the old fashioned way.

Beat juggling can help too but I'd say trick mixing it more applicable to actual mixing. Beat juggling is more about taking a beat and flip it into something completely new, and changing rhythms/time signatures. If you're good enough it can help for sure, but I think complex trick mixing combined with basic scratching/juggling is the way to go.
    2012 DMC Supremacy World Champ + IDA World Champ

I learnt a lot from watching this guy....DJ Klever.

It is still one of my favorite routines.

Not perfect...but uses a lot of really cool lil techniques.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

dub sirens and gunshots

^or a sample of " hey dj, play that track"
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.