Allen & Heath Xone:42 does anyone have it? Thinking about buying it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Allen & Heath Xone:42 does anyone have it? Thinking about buying it

Looking to get a semi pro mixer. I was looking at the Allen & Heath Xone:42 and a few others. Don't really need onboard effects, jog wheels and I like the usb option. Umm? I looked at Traktor Z2 OUCH too many options. Damn companies own me oh the pain!
    Thoughts are welcomed and needed..Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Traktor 2.6, Ableton, Kontrol F1, Maschine MK2, iPad, Numark N4

Tech Guru

Ditto. Have the opportunity to buy an Xone:42 for very cheap, but I can't tell if it's becoming "outdated" or if it'll be a classic.

I think their Xone 92 was the update which I also looked at but of course no USB option but Allen & Heath rule in sound quality and make. The DB2 is cool too but both pricey. What do you think about the Traktor Z2?

Tech Guru

Unfortunately I'm pretty new to this stuff.

From what I've read though. Denon has some nice units.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Denon-DN...70-i1435758.gc
    And the X1600.

They both have internal sound cards.

And then if you dont mind jog wheels:
    http://www.amazon.com/Denon-DN-MC600.../dp/B004GO9MEQ

The usb on that mixer isn't used for much beyond recording your sets. It has no midi so you will need an audio 8/10 (or another soundcard with 4 outputs) to use all 4 channels with traktor.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

The x1600 is pretty comparable and it has a sound card that is traktor certified. I'm planning on getting a z2 myself, but I want to learn a bit of scratching and I find I rarely use more than 2 channels. If I need it, there is the +2 aspect. I find its pretty straightforward and doesn't have too many features.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Mentor

Like Squidot said, remember that the "usb option" is not a functional sound card for DJing, it only has one in and one out. You'd still need to buy a sound card and run wires.

The mixer itself is alright. The faders are VERY disappointing, considering it's a Xone, but the pots are the same as their nicer models.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm definitely trying to figure out the best way to plug and play at a venue. I have an audio firewire 400 interface maybe I should use that to plug in to mixer at events for now. Also I have an Numark N4 and looking at the Z2 I really don't see much difference aside from the size which the N4 is HUGE but I have it mapped to all controls like the Z2 minus the cues which I use my Maschine for. I think I better wait a bit before getting a semi pro mixer. Decisions decisions

Tech Guru

Hey Josie, I just bought the xone:42.

So far I like it quite a bit, but I can't figure out why my Audio4 set up is outputting weird.

oilythread is right in that the faders are disappointing. I like my Akai APC40 faders a lot more, but it might just be something I'll grow into.

Tech Mentor

the xone 92 line faders are the without a doubt the best I've ever felt... I assumed the 42 would have the same ones...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast