Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Is it possible to setup a professional DJ rig with an iPad?

As tablets become more and more powerful it seems to me like they would be much better suited for DJing then lugging around a laptop. I have not found a way to get my VCI-100 to work with my ipad. Are there any professional controllers out there that really work well with the ipad?

I am not about to buy one but I do see the potential for using the new windows surface pro + traktor + any controler you want to make an ultra portable pro level rig. I just want to use the gear I have in some new ways.

Tech Wizard

What is your criteria for "Pro Level"? Is a VCI-100 pro level? I think pioneer and denon have iPad apps to use with their respective CD players and I think people even get paid using those setups, so I guess that would be Pro level.

X

Not as yet I don't think it would be possible but I believe it is just round the corner. I love the advantages of digital dj ing and controlerism but I am at present going back to my routes analogue style as I feel more in touch with the music. A nice hybrid setup is perfect for me at the moment having. Having an ipad at the centre of that would certainly be easier than a laptop or my iMac. Fingers crossed the technoe is round the corner and I believe it is.
    TSP2, Pioneer DJM-T1, 2x SL1210 (restored and customised), Shure M44-7 Carts, Launchpad.

Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have surface noise. I said "Listen mate, life has surface noise" - John Peel

"Professional" can be a subjective term these days. Play what suits you because if it isn't pro today it may be tomorrow

if using a controller in the first place a laptop is not much more then an iPad to carry around. the controller would need a bag or case that a laotop would fit nicely into.
    I've used my iPad on it's own for one small gig and was fun. I highly doubht I'll do that again anytime soon. it's not quite there yet.
    Pioneer DDJ SX soon DDJ SZ, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Pro 15", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w, NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII

TouchOSC and Lemur are wonderful, but I believe you are asking about standalone apps that dont require a computer. New NI iPad app soon to be released!!

Tech Wizard

Lets say the standard used to be two 1200s and a DJM600 to be a "pro level setup". Now that we have moved into the digital age I think of "pro level setup" as any setup that could be taken into a club and doesn't have any use or reliability drawbacks. I am curious to see what this new NI app is as it may be just what I am looking for.

Not with an iPad, no; a Surface Pro, or any other Windows-based tablet, for that matter, would work just fine though. When 1080p Wintabs start being available at the 200 mark, I'll be switching away from my MBP.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Not with an iPad, no; a Surface Pro, or any other Windows-based tablet, for that matter, would work just fine though. When 1080p Wintabs start being available at the 200 mark, I'll be switching away from my MBP.
    Ahem, *cough* bullshit *cough* - a $200 tablet aint gonna cut it any more than an Ipad im afraid.

You do realize that the Surface pro is going to be around $800 right ? .. the regular surface is no more than a netbook with a touchscreen and intensive apps like Traktor wont run on anything less than the pro.

DJ player for the iPad/iphone is more than capable of being combined with pro controllers and IMHO is "Pro-enough" its got quite a few tricks up its sleeve and full midi mapping with a camera kit usb connector.

Maybe you should check this out ......VCI400 + Ipad

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2012/10...i-route-audio/

Personally I LOVE the Wireless feature of the Pioneer Aero, as it means you can lift up your pad and browse your collection on Rekordbox, I hope someone brings out some sort of wireless audio router that can be used with ipads and brought along like we would an Audio4 in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Ahem, *cough* bullshit *cough* - a $200 tablet aint gonna cut it any more than an Ipad im afraid.

You do realize that the Surface pro is going to be around $800 right ? .. the regular surface is no more than a netbook with a touchscreen and intensive apps like Traktor wont run on anything less than the pro.
    That's why I said WHEN there's a Windows tablet out for 200. And considering how I can run Traktor 2.6 fine on an EeePC 701 (800mhz Celeron), I highly doubt a cheap tablet with a Haswell-Y processor in it is going to struggle lol.

In fact, THIS would work perfectly: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C97-Atom-N...606#vi-content

Just a shame the resolution is so painfully low It's bad enough on a 1280x800 MBP, can't imagine how horrible it'd be at 1024x768...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast