Traktor Beatgrids

Default Traktor Beatgrids

I search and read the forum for information as I need it. Today, I registered. In the past, I read "Perfecting Traktor Beatgrids: Ean’s Method". But, I now have a question: Sometimes I use sync but sometimes I use vinyl timecode. When using timecode, is beatgridding neccessary?

I've been spinning vinyl a long time and I'm used to working the pitch control for 2 minute blends.

Thanks

Tech Mentor

Beat gridding is still important if you use Traktors onboard effects. Many of the effects, especially the beatmasher, slicer, gater, and auto sweeping filters, use the master tempo to determine the speed or rate of the effect.
    Even if you don't use sync, it's a good idea to beatgrid your music, and have the master tempo set to "auto" so that it always matches the speed of the track that is playing live.
    If the master tempo doesn't match the speed of the track that is playing, your effects will sound out of time with the music that is playing!
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Tech Guru

Traktor pretty much always gets the tempo correct for music with constant BPM. The only real problem is that the grid often does not line up with the transients, which affects Sync more than anything else.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

The loops n beat jumps are reliant on grids as well as some of the FX

I tend not to grid as I play a lot of rips of old tunes via timecode which just can't be gridded properly so I have a button mapped to tap in the beat as and when I need it for the loops, jumps n FX.

Tech Guru

Loops + cues can be applied from any point in the track, they don't depend on the beatgrid. And loops only need the tempo to be correct.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB