which Laptop?

Thread: which Laptop?

Default which Laptop?

Evening,
    Looking for a new laptop that will easily run traktor without breaking a sweat.
    Can anyone recommend something that they already use that will do the job make and model please?
    Don't want a mac but don't want any issues as well with crashes etc.
    How does traktor behave with windows 8 and are NI officially supporting it yet?
    Thanks

Tech Mentor

In before mac and in before thread links.

Tech Guru

Some laptops with Win8 and USB 3.0 will work fine, some won't.

Windows 7 + USB 2.0 is a safer bet if you're not 100% sure your model will work properly. A second-hand/refurb Mac is another option.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Some laptops with Win8 and USB 3.0 will work fine, some won't.

Windows 7 + USB 2.0 is a safer bet if you're not 100% sure your model will work properly. A second-hand/refurb Mac is another option.

Beta drivers and disabling USB 3 at bios level works like a charm on Intel based USB Controllers.

The zenbooks are nice. I unfortunately like big screens 17 inch is the only way for me lol

Tech Mentor

You may get USB3.0 working, and you may not. It depends on too many factors to tell for sure. I would seriously recommend on getting a laptop with at least 1 USB2 port if you're going the Windows route (which I certainly don't discourage), just for the soundcard.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

hp elitebook 8440P... soo many plug ins, soo much power

never looked back to a mac once i had this thing tweaked out for music
    Z2, Kontrol X1 x2, Kontrol F1 x2, HP Elitebook 8440p, Traktor 2.6.1, Pioneer HDJ-1500

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by StephanV View Post
    You may get USB3.0 working, and you may not. It depends on too many factors to tell for sure. I would seriously recommend on getting a laptop with at least 1 USB2 port if you're going the Windows route (which I certainly don't discourage), just for the soundcard.
    I have yet to see anyone who has properly disabled XHCI have it not work. Those reporting it still doesnt work for them, only removed the host controller driver in Windows, which does nothing installed or uninstalled.

USB 3 ports are backwards compatible and do run in USB 2 Mode they just have to be turned to legacy mode. Some people either dont have the technical knowledge to do so, or just dont want to bother with it.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by balakoth View Post
    I have yet to see anyone who has properly disabled XHCI have it not work. Those reporting it still doesnt work for them, only removed the host controller driver in Windows, which does nothing installed or uninstalled.

USB 3 ports are backwards compatible and do run in USB 2 Mode they just have to be turned to legacy mode. Some people either dont have the technical knowledge to do so, or just dont want to bother with it.
    I would call myself fairly knowledgeable on stuff like this, and couldn't get my Audio 6 to work on USB 3.0 until NI made them Core Audio compatible. Disabling XHCI, afaik, has to be done through the BIOS. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases manufacturers close down the BIOS pretty badly. I haven't found a way around this for my Dell L501X.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds