Microsoft Surface - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post
    Both Surface and the Razer lack Cellular, though. For me, 3G modul in the tablet is a must. Main reason to sell my former iPad3 was that I chose not to get a cell model and that limited me a lot - i thought that I can use the Hotspot of the iPhone, but that wasn't a good experience. Now with the 3G iPad4, I feel great.
    http://www.techtoys2go.com/winpad-p200

3G

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post
    I've played with a windows 8 tablets. It's sort of usable, but the iPad/iOS beats it for me. I've recently upgraded to iPad4 / 64 / Cellular and loving it. Thought about a windows tablet, but not yet for me.

Firstly, the iPad software is optimized for touch. There will be years until the Windows apps are made touch friendly at the same level.9m

Next, the Surface is heavier. It's not really usable as a tablet for stand-up use in the hands and I tend to use it a lot on the move - both for work and for pleasure.

So because of the iPad, I sold the S4 and got a VCI-400. It's fully class complaint and is usable for both audio & midi. For now, it can only be used with the DJPlayer app, but the app is decent enough and it's a great fun. Already did a few events with this kit. Other DJing apps will provide MIDI support in the near future, I believe, so I won't be limited in the Apps choice. Both DJay & MixVibes for iPad are very usable for on-screen DJing and I did many small parties with them - they just don't support the VCI-400 yet, but as is do a great job.

For DAW & music production, there are very good apps for iOS already. Again, they are made for the iPad and are really optimal. You'll definitely have tools on the go.

Media & Entertainment wise - the iPad is the best. I no longer own a personal laptop for a while now - will probably get one in a some months, but for now, the iPad is enough for mobile needs and still have a desktop Mac.

Nonetheless, I'm also looking closely at the PC tablets evolution. Will just wait to see when Windows will be enough touch friendly as the iOS is.

For now, I think the best spec'd windows Tablet PC is not the Surface but the Razer Edge: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-edge-pro
    Compared to the Surface, it has option for i7 (vs i5), 8GB (vs 4) ram & 256 SSD (vs 128). Ram & disk are very important in my opinion and not enough on the Surface.

Both Surface and the Razer lack Cellular, though. For me, 3G modul in the tablet is a must. Main reason to sell my former iPad3 was that I chose not to get a cell model and that limited me a lot - i thought that I can use the Hotspot of the iPhone, but that wasn't a good experience. Now with the 3G iPad4, I feel great.
    I have some issues with iPad: 1. Lack of expandable storage, HDMI, USB 2. iOS. I don't want to run a tablet OS. I want to run the real deal. This machine is going to replace my laptop. 3. iTunes. I hate it so much, they might as well call it iAids. I don't anything to do with that app.

I'm looking for versatility. I'm looking for one machine to rule them all. Portability and power.

Tech Mentor

I am trying to get my hands on a Surface Pro.

I think it will be absolutely perfect for use with traktor. The key here is that your workflow needs to be of the sort where you are using tactile controls like having an X1.

It is basically a windows 8 laptop in a tablet size. With displayport out sending the video to a larger screen when required isn't a problem. There aren't enough USB ports though so that might be an issue.

Haven't worked out a suitable storage option though. 128GB SSD drive is pretty small. I'd need a new music management plan.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kaek View Post
    I am trying to get my hands on a Surface Pro.

I think it will be absolutely perfect for use with traktor. The key here is that your workflow needs to be of the sort where you are using tactile controls like having an X1.

It is basically a windows 8 laptop in a tablet size. With displayport out sending the video to a larger screen when required isn't a problem. There aren't enough USB ports though so that might be an issue.

Haven't worked out a suitable storage option though. 128GB SSD drive is pretty small. I'd need a new music management plan.
    Can't you just keep the majority of tunes on an external and only keep the tunes you're playing at the moment on the SSD?

Why anybody would ever consider DJing in front of any crowd with anything running something as unstable as windows is beyond me.

Tech Guru

The fact that windows 8 takes up the majority of the SSD space of the Surface pro and the battery life is substandard is a bit of let down TBH.

And LOL at the retard trying to make this an IOS v Windows thing.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
    Why anybody would ever consider DJing in front of any crowd with anything running something as unstable as windows is beyond me.
    Maybe I'm lucky, but I have yet to have any problem running FLStudio or Traktor on a Windows machine. My laptop is probably underpowered too. The only tweak I have to make is disabling the wifi when I record. *crosses fingers*

Quote Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
    I've had far more issues with OSX, so don't gimme that.

Tech Wizard

I would love to run a Surface Pro (or a fully spec'd windows tablet) as my primary DJ machine. I need a new primary laptop and the thought of purchasing one device instead of two, I don't own a tablet, is really exciting to me.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sdrthedj View Post
    I would love to run a Surface Pro (or a fully spec'd windows tablet) as my primary DJ machine. I need a new primary laptop and the thought of purchasing one device instead of two, I don't own a tablet, is really exciting to me.
    The Yoga seems like the best choice now, but they're really expensive. It's probably still cheaper than buying both a laptop and tablet though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast