Upgrading my DJ mixer, need quick help choosing between 2!

Default Upgrading my DJ mixer, need quick help choosing between 2!

I'm in the process o selling my CDJs and switching to all digital on Traktor and MBP, and I'm currently using a Pioneer DJM500, with only has 3 line inputs so I can't use all 4 Traktor decks, which is why in selling my decks to get a new mixer.

I'm choosing between the Pioneer DJM 800, I love it and have used it a lot, has 4 LINE inputs so that's fine for me, but also, there's the Allen & Heath Xone92 mixer, which I watched a video of 'How I Play - Chris Liebing' uses, and it seems cool, he has routed his Maschine somehow into it without taking up any of the 4 channels. Which is something I need as I have currently routed Maschine as a live input into a Traktor deck and the 3rd channel on my mixer,

Leaving me with only being able to use 2 Traktor decks

So, what shall I get, will I benefit from getting the Xone92, being able to use all 4 Traktor decks AND having Maschine
    Coming out of another channel (aux or something? I don't know much about this aux/send&return)

Or can I do this with the DJM800? As I've had an offer to swap my CDJs for someone's DJM800.

Thanks.

Tech Guru

The Xone 92 has 4-band EQ, is that something you've considered?

The DJM 800 does not have any AUX inputs so you'd have to route Maschine's output some other way to retain all 4 decks.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I'm not to clued up on exactly what is, basically, as a two-bad EQ filters out the lo and hi's, and a 4-band EQ does that and the lo mid & hi mids?

Yeah the DJM800 doesn't seem to have anywhere near as much as he xone92 does, and i would have to just route Maschine via live input still, leaving me with just 3 Traktor decks.

Do you know what I'm talking about with having Masch sent into some input of the xone92 without taking up any of the 4 channels?

If you watch this video here:

Around 5:00minuets he starts talking about it. But he says he uses a separate device (looks like a really tini mixer) to control the volume of maschine, so maybe i will need to get that...

Tech Guru

The 92 has AUX inputs that go straight to the Master output, and there are pots for controlling the volume. No need for another tiny mixer.

My DJM 250 manages to have AUX inputs too, it seems strange that the 800/850/900 don't
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Ahh cool, not sure what Liebing was using whatever he was using for.

Okay, so I can independently control the volume for just maschine alone in the aux channel? thats cool, would i be able to apply FX on it thought? Like thats the reason ive got it routed via live input in Traktor, so I can use my Kontrol X1 FX on Maschine!

EDIT: Or instead of applying my Kontrol X1 FX over maschine, with the xone92 there are the send and return features (something I dont know much about) but reverb and delay is all ill be applying over Maschine so...
    Last edited by Superfreak; 02-15-2013 at 04:58 PM.

i believe the way chris had his 92 setup is using one of the mic channels for maschine and aux channels are routed into ableton and thats where his delay and reverbs are, you cant use x1 to fx over maschine unless u assign maschine to one of the decks u have control over from x1 so with the way its setup now u will but will not when u switcdh, maschine has its own fx and might be better or the same as traktors not sure but theres that, also if you want u can route everything through ableton and assign ableton fx to the aux channels (like leibing) and not have to use traktor fx

What soundcard do you have or are you planning to use?
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Quote Originally Posted by NoizeuNit View Post
    i believe the way chris had his 92 setup is using one of the mic channels for maschine and aux channels are routed into ableton and thats where his delay and reverbs are, you cant use x1 to fx over maschine unless u assign maschine to one of the decks u have control over from x1 so with the way its setup now u will but will not when u switcdh, maschine has its own fx and might be better or the same as traktors not sure but theres that, also if you want u can route everything through ableton and assign ableton fx to the aux channels (like leibing) and not have to use traktor fx

Mate, you are a genius, you have just unknowingly explained to me something that i've been racking my brains to find out... send and return... I could not for the love of god get my head around exactly what is was and how it worked, and from what you just said: "aux channels routed into ableton and thats where his delay and reverbs are" ... So basically you SEND the track/channel you want into an effect, and it applys the FX and then SENDS it back into the mixer and out of the channel... is that correct?

okay, now getting back onto this thread lol. Right i can live with not using my X1 FX over maschine, because I would be able to use all 4 Traktor decks with the xone92 so i would need to use both X1's for my traktor decks. thats cool, because with maschine being put in the aux channel, i can send that aux channel to the send and return channel to apply my ableton reverbs and delays over machine, correct?

I have only just recently got ableton live and have been meaning to get it synced up with traktor, or atleast some how routed together to be able to use my plugins in ableton over traktor and maschine stuff! so thats what im working on as soon as i get this new mixer!

Quote Originally Posted by DarioJ View Post
    What soundcard do you have or are you planning to use?
    I have an Audio 10!